Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pumpkins/ squash

Got a 1/4 plot in last Sunday.
Just checked and they are already up 1_2 inches.
I poured a gallon of water in each seed bed and just stuck the seeds in the mud.
Hot temps and moisture made em pop fast.

We planted 146 hills on 1/4a around April 10th. They were up and looking good 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the hot dry weather doesn't burn them out.

Now, the bad news is I planted 22 different types of pumpkins and squash in those hills - meaning, I'm going to have some cross pollination I'm sure...I wonder what they'll end up looking like...

I did separate my giant pumpkins to be 150 yards away so while I hope it lowers my cross pollination chances on those, it's not fool proof.

Bucksnbears - do you buy seed every year?

Now, the bad news is I planted 22 different types of pumpkins and squash in those hills - meaning, I'm going to have some cross pollination I'm sure...I wonder what they'll end up looking like...

Bucksnbears - do you buy seed every year?
The pumpkins will be "true to breed" this year. If you save seeds to plant next year, that is when you will see the hybridization.

I planted two hills in the garden a couple of weeks ago. This year's seeds (dated for 2021 planting). There were maybe 12 seeds in the packet, checked last night and had one plant emerge. Will try to water them to see if that has more germinate, really haven't had rain since planting.

Got a 1/4 plot in last Sunday.
Just checked and they are already up 1_2 inches.
I poured a gallon of water in each seed bed and just stuck the seeds in the mud.
Hot temps and moisture made em pop fast.
I also planted about 12 hills last Thursday of pumpkins and squash. Watered at the time, don't think they have emerged yet. Will water again tonight. Planted right into standing buckwheat.

Deerdown, why did you plant them in April?
I sometimes sprinkle a half cup around the plant before a rain.
Can't tell if it helps though?

JNRBRONC is correct on how hybridization works. Also giant pumpkins are a soft stem squash which will not hybridize with hard stem field pumpkins.
I took many botany classes in college, some of it stuck. Mendelian genetics, I think he worked with peas.

Still only have lone pumpkin out of two hills. :( Guess I won't have to worry about competition.

Anyone have an update on their pumpkins and have pics to share? I'll find out this weekend how my plants are doing

Mine are doing pretty well. I have to water them a few times a week, but there are tons of blossoms. Besides being dry the only other real issue is foxtail.

Mine are doing GREAT!
I have some that are baseball sized.

I have had to water them though.
I'd post pics but this site sucks for doing that!

Tried the pumpkin thing this year so far so good. Planted jack-o'-lantern and little sweets.Got them in the ground later than preferred (June 26). Almost starting to flower out even with late planting. I've helped them out the past month or so with some water every week.

Attachments

• 107163.jpeg
    107163.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 143
  • 107166.jpeg
    107166.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 141
  • 107169.jpeg
    107169.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Here's my patch on 7/24, then again today. Been lucky so far, other than initial ground prep/fertilizer haven't had to do anything except nuking the weeds when the plants were starting to vine out. They got to canopy stage before the rain stopped and the heat hit so have weathered that well without supplemental watering. Have a few pumpkins already set but just hitting prime pollination time.
Field Pumpkins 7-24.jpg
Field Pumpkins 8-8.jpg

Went down to put some fertilizer on the on the brassicas that I had planted and spread some winter rye. The deer have already found the pumpkins. Hopefully not all gone before season roles around
110845.jpeg
110844.jpeg

Top Bottom