Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

***Punched First MO Tag*** Story/Video Added

Punched my tag on this buck Thursday, hit was low and didnt find him til Friday. Full story to come later.
6058c79d9768561414c648cd0a5b5ccd.jpg

***Story Time***
I stuck cameras out early August and every few weeks I would get a couple pics of this buck. I planted a a small foodplot (13,000 sq ft) in an isolated section of the farm where I had gotten pictures of him (I felt like it was close to where he would bed).
I set the blind in place the morning of 8/29, not knowing that he had just been there. As i was pulling the blind into the gate that batch of pictures came in on the CL. One of the photos was only an hour from the time I had pulled in (noon), so he was probably nearby. I decided to go about my business spreading fertilizer, setting the blind and brushing it in. I also hung a reconyx video tcam next to the cuddelink in anticipation of getting some awesome footage. A couple weeks went by and i sat the blind 9/19 in hopes of him showing. There had been several other young bucks and does using the now plush green plot daily. He did not show but did see 15-18 deer all within shooting range.
At 10 pm 9/22 i get him back, excited that I hadn’t pushed him off from the commotion of setting up the blind. I got pics of him again (in daylight and on the plot) morning and evening of 9/23.
I sat the blind on 9/24 with my buddy and CanonXA20. He followed a doe out right on time to a T and gave me a broadside shot at 20 yards.
This is where it gets interesting. Though the shot looks good the deer runs off 30 yards and stands there behind a cedar tree until dark.
I knew that i had probably hit behind the heart and below any lungs, which means lower lobe of the liver and stomach. I crawl out of the blind an hour or so after dark and grab my arrow, it is covered with blood BUT smells like gut (stomach). The blood is surely liver.
Though several friends encourage me to go get the buck later in the evening I wait til morning.
The next morning we take up the trail, track the buck a couple hundred yards and bump him out of his first and only bed. 13 hours after the shot. I feel absolutely terrible at this point, especially cause the deer struggled as he ran off. We backed out and came back at 5 pm and he had expired about 100 yards from where we bumped him that morning.
I wish that i had made a better shot, but will be a very memorable hunt for me. My first early season buck ever. Its going to be a long 7 weeks until firearms season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Only bummer is that im sidelined until firearms opener on 11/14. In MO you cant fill your second archery anydeer tag until after November firearms season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom