Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Putting in cedar screen - hunting or poachers...

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Quick vid just showing a field that HAD TO BE CLEARED... zero of the cedars went to waste. Did this along road as well about 5 years ago and that wall is now “poacher proof”. I’m gonna guess this project took a few hours. It will take a couple years to fill in and get height of course.

I planted red cedar about 8 years ago from seedlings for the same reason.
They are now 15' and are an awesome screen.
Side benefit is nesting cover for birds.

What percentage would you guess of the cedars survive at that size? How long till they start to grow again?
If it’s a horrible drought (one year I had this.... half got roasted in junk soil. 75% made it in better soil). In “normal years” - 90%+ make it. Lose more to moving too big a tree and they tip over or stupid stuff like that.
A bit smaller helps survival by not taking too much roots & then smaller chance they ever tip. Overall - with a lil learning , vast majority will survive done right.

Three staggered rows in your screen Skip?
Yes. I stagger them. If it’s quickly moving trees- I’ve done em in a line or couple rows.
ideally..... 4-6’ tall cedars & space em close.... maybe 10’ apart I’m guessing. Which is close. Then yes, stagger the other row so it’s a solid blocking wall for a view. The jobs tend to look a lil better when I’m doing em just cause I’m fussy. Absolutely better to stagger them.

Top Bottom