Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QAD HDX clearance issues

I've had my bow to scheels about 3 times now within the past 2 weeks for arrow flight issues and every time I have been there I've been given a different fix. I'm now being told that my vanes are making contact with the top containment bar and to shoot cock feather down. Everything I read says you should be able to shoot with the vanes at any angle and for best results shoot cock feather up. Sounds like it's out of time but the lines match up at full draw. I've had the rest for 3 years and just started experiencing problems when they installed a new string and cables. Getting pretty frustrated sighting in every 4 days. Especially this close to October first.

What bow? Sounds like Cam timing issues or possibly any one of a dozen other issues that could cause that.

What bow? Sounds like Cam timing issues or possibly any one of a dozen other issues that could cause that.

It's a mathews creed. 27.5 draw length and 70 pound draw weight . It's been paper tuned every time and every time they change something. I assume everyone shoots different?

Impossible to diagnose without seeing it.
Is it papertuned to you or to their guy shooting it ?- big difference.
Could be cam timing, or arrow level, or drop away timing or even the position they tied it in. I've even seen oversized aftermarket strings that don't fit the cam grooves properly completely change a bow and make it hard to tune = seen it quite a few times on Mathews for some reason? You didnt happen to put on Flourescent colored strings did you?

Last edited:
Impossible to diagnose without seeing it.
Is it papertuned to you or to their guy shooting it ?- big difference.
Could be cam timing, or arrow level, or drop away timing or even the position they tied it in. I've even seen oversized aftermarket strings that don't fit the cam grooves properly completely change a bow and make it hard to tune = seen it quite a few times on Mathews for some reason?

Him shooting it. My wife has been taking it up since I work overnights. It just got new vapor trail strings. What are your shop hours this time of year? I also have a limb driver pro v rest lying around. Which do you prefer or recommend between the two?

Him shooting it. My wife has been taking it up since I work overnights. It just got new vapor trail strings. What are your shop hours this time of year? I also have a limb driver pro v rest lying around. Which do you prefer or recommend between the two?

I prefer the limb driver - its what I use on my own bows - but should be able to get your QAD to work too.

Shop hours vary this time of year - some days I am in the shop 14 hours and some days only 3 or 4 - farming is getting started and that can take me out of the shop quite a bit - best to call ahead and check close to when you want to come. 641-780-4586 is my cell - call or text to find daily hours.

I prefer the limb driver - its what I use on my own bows - but should be able to get your QAD to work too.

Shop hours vary this time of year - some days I am in the shop 14 hours and some days only 3 or 4 - farming is getting started and that can take me out of the shop quite a bit - best to call ahead and check close to when you want to come. 641-780-4586 is my cell - call or text to find daily hours.

Sounds good. What's the earliest you open? I work overnights a pella corp. Get off at 7 but I can stick around until 9 if needed.

Yeah I wasn't sure if shops liked working on bows they didn't sell. Otherwise I would have done that first thing

I see that at alot at our local shop. I get further with taking my bow to scheels than to the local shop... I took my nephew in to get measured and he goes oh I say he's 26 no measuring... Took him to scheels and he was 28..... Now to the QAD rest.... If you believe it's a timing issue send it to QAD and they will send you a new one out.... QAD has awesome customer service..... I noticed I get better arrow flight with the cock vane out.....

I see that at alot at our local shop. I get further with taking my bow to scheels than to the local shop... I took my nephew in to get measured and he goes oh I say he's 26 no measuring... Took him to scheels and he was 28..... Now to the QAD rest.... If you believe it's a timing issue send it to QAD and they will send you a new one out.... QAD has awesome customer service..... I noticed I get better arrow flight with the cock vane out.....

I don't think it's the rest itself that's the problem. I think it's a setup issue. Nock point or maybe alignment.

Just got back from Buck Hollow. Within seconds he found several issues with the setup. Got them all taken care of and also spotted a grip issue I had when shooting. It was nice having someone explain what they are adjusting and why it needs done. I'm already shooting better groups and one huge difference i noticed is I can't hear my arrows in flight anymore. Before you could hear the vanes catching wind. I definitely will be taking all my business to Boyd from now on.

Just got back from Buck Hollow. Within seconds he found several issues with the setup. Got them all taken care of and also spotted a grip issue I had when shooting. It was nice having someone explain what they are adjusting and why it needs done. I'm already shooting better groups and one huge difference i noticed is I can't hear my arrows in flight anymore. Before you could hear the vanes catching wind. I definitely will be taking all my business to Boyd from now on.

That is awesome, makes you that much more excited for the season when your equipment is dialed in and ready!

That's good to hear! I've only been to Boyd's shop once but I would not hesitate to have him set a new bow up or fix issues with an existing bow!

I got into the same boat last year only I was trying to tune in by myself. Boyd set me straight in a min without calling me stupid in the process, which he could have :)

I have the exact same issue with my bow right now. It's so dang frustrating. I've taken it to Scheels multiple times and have had a couple different people look at it and a couple other local archery shops to get it paper tuned. But broad heads just don't fly right out of it. I'm going to have to take it to Buck Hollow before the weekend I guess.

He sure makes it easy to love your bow.

Top Bottom