Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quail Habitat CP38E (CP-4D) Mid Contract Management needs

Marty Edwards

PMA Member
Hello friends,

My apologies if this same question has been asked before, or if I'm posting this in the wrong area...While I've been registered for a number of years, we just moved back to Iowa & I wasn't active while we were living in Nebraska. Great to be back home!

I have MCM responsibilities on a new farm we purchased in October. We are located in Ringgold county. To me, this CP-38E (CP-4D) is pretty dang complicated; disc this, burn that, plant small grain here, but not there, etc.

I have a call in to Rick at Freedom Creek Prairie, in Prescott. Has anyone utilized their services before? any suggestions on other quality contractors in my area?

Cp38e in Iowa shouldn't be any more complicated than Missouri. Just needed to either, burn, disc, or chemically burn it, and 1 required food plot - I was told they don't really care what you plant in the food plot, but they do give some guidance on it, small grain being 1 of the options. If not the above, I did mine all wrong, lol.. chemical burn is 5-8oz an acre just to set it back.
Others may come on an educate us both ....

I wouldn’t do the disc option. IMO. Spray is likely the best depending on ur stand. Burn would be 2nd choice only if your stand is starting to get choked out.
On the plots- it’s generally 10% of said field & they will have an approved area (u generally can pick it). Very open for what u plant for a plot.

What's it currently look like? How old is the stand (Assuming 4-6 years old based on MCM)?

Agree with Skip... screw the discing unless you enjoy walking/driving over a mine field and enjoy picking purple flowers (thistles) for the wifey!

I like fires. But they do have their down side.

What's it currently look like? How old is the stand (Assuming 4-6 years old based on MCM)?

Agree with Skip... screw the discing unless you enjoy walking/driving over a mine field and enjoy picking purple flowers (thistles) for the wifey!

I like fires. But they do have their down side.
Only downside of fires, IMO, is this.... u finally got “junk ground” in crp. 1-3% organic matter for example with major top soil loss. That is the ground u want the thatch to build and decompose for YEARS. U r building back OM after decades of loss. Burning ruins much of that- goes by-by. Why id limit it to only as critically needed. If u have rich dark bottom soils with plenty of OM- not as big of deal. Just a quick 2 cents.

Top Bottom