Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QUESTION FOR YOU IOWA HUNTERS(FROM NON RESIDENT)

A

azbuckbuster

HEY I LIVE AND HUNT IN AZ AND WAS GOIN TO TRY TO GET A ARCHERY OR SHOT GUN DEER TAG IN IOWA. MY UNCLE LIVES IN CLINTON AND HUNTS SO I WILL GO WITH HIM. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW HOW HARD IT WOULD BE FOR ME TO GET A TAG AND IF I CAN GET ONE FOR ZONE 8 AND NOT ANY OTHER ZONE BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY PLACE I REALLY WANT A TAG FOR. ALSO I ONLY HUNT MULEYS AND COUES DEER HERE AND HAVE NEVER GONE FOR EASTERN WHITETAIL SO IM JUST CURIOUS HOW YOU HUNT THEM. WHEN I HUNT DEER HERE I EITHER STILL HUNT THEM OR MAKE A GROUND BLIND AND IN THE UPCOMING HUNT I AM GONNA TRY A TREESTAND. YOU CAN EITHER POST BACK OR EMAIL ME AT AZDOWNHILLRACER@AOL.COM

To be honest with you, we don't have any deer here in Iowa. This website was established with the hope that someday we will. We'll let you know when we get some!

Now thats not very hospitable.

I would'nt plan on doing much spot-n-stalk type hunting. I'd suggest a light tree stand.
I would'nt even apply for a shotgun tag, but that's just me.
I would'nt plan on getting a tag either.
If you do let me know. I'm about 40min. north of Clinton.
One other thing, I've never hunted mule deer, but I'm certain the Clinton Co. whitetails will be much more wary.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 02-23-2001).]

azbuckbuster,

NateW does not represent this website, and everyone is welcome to communicate on it. Hopefully we have some readers that are more open to sharing there Iowa hunting experience.

The Staff

matew must be a NR and don't want your name in the drawing!
Yes you can file for only zone eight!I think you can put down a second choice just to improve odds!
You should have some good hunting for a nice
Iowa buck.Don't forget they are corn fed,so your in for some good eating too!

Good luck hunting and good eating!!

AZBB, you can hunt any way you enjoy the most as long as you play by the rules.
There are great opportunities statewide these days. The demand is pretty high for Iowa tags these days, but if you get a chance just come with the idea of having a good time whether you harvest something or not and you will not be disappointed.

Good Luck!

Oh come on guys, it was just a joke....AZ buckbuster, as you can plainly see we have excellent whitetail hunting here in Iowa, but I'm sure you already knew that.This site is a very good source of information and I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks familiar with that area that will be more than happy to provide whatever info you wish.

Drawing a NR Iowa tag can be difficult from what I understand, but not impossible. I feel the secret to whietail hunting in Iowa is scouting. Knowing where the bucks are and where they want to be is the real answer. If you figure that out, then find the best way they like to travel from point "A" to point "B". The more time spent scouting (without disturbing the area) the better your chances get.

Sorry if my calousness turned you off, just my (vain) attempt at humor.

--NateW

hey its ok i kinda figured that you were jokin. anyways i know you guys got some of the best whitetail huntin and last year happened to have the highest and most healthy population of whitetails. and for you who said your whitetails may me much more wary, maybe im not sure but you also have to think of where whe hunt muleys is what makes it so hard, most of the spots are flat for miles and not much cover. the forest muleys are also very hard because we dont have thick forests like you do. here the forests are just spaced out pine trees acorn thickets and small meadows.

also finding land to hunt on is not a problem because i have alot of people in my family that own farms and would let me hunt their land.

azbb

oh i forgot, while im here how many preferance proints does it usually take to get a tag for sure? im familiar with the preference point system because here in az we have a bonus point system where you get a point every time you dont get drawn and one permanent one for hunter safety course. also i highly doubt gettin one of your deer tags can be as hard as obtaining one of our cherished big bull elk tags!

also could anyone give me some info on your pheasant and other small game hunting cause i might come for them if i dont get a deer tag, also inform me about turkeys.

azbb

I,m still predigeous> Iowa Bowhunters don,t want non-residents, But if you get drawn for a gun tag come on down you can kill all the big bucks you want along as some body else tags them. Real sporting isn,t it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Wilder:
I,m still predigeous&gt; Iowa Bowhunters don,t want non-residents, But if you get drawn for a gun tag come on down you can kill all the big bucks you want along as some body else tags them. Real sporting isn,t it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim we like NR hunter'$. We seem to have what everybody else want's!!! Then they complain it's not the way they want it!!!!???????
Is something wrong with this picture?
I was going to say- stay home- if you don't like it,but i don't need to if YOU are coming
DOWN to Iowa we got a long wait!

I was curious if any body knows about how many non residents that did not get picked for zone 7 and how many tags are allowed for that zone?Also,is there any buffer zone between zones?The ground I hunt on is divided by hwy92.The farmer owns both sides.Just curious

Bullwinkle, where along hwy 92 will you be hunting? I live right on it.

Micah

to azbuckbuster: get 10 guys, drive to the nearest woods, surround it, send eight guys in and stand at the end and shoot the deer as they run out. shouldn't take more than an hour or so and you'll be on your way.

azbuckbuster; I was very lucky to draw a Iowa tag last year! It was my second year of trying to get a tag and I feel real lucky drawing then. I will say this every one I talked with in Iowa was more then helpful and glad to help when I did harvest my deer! There was four guys glad to help me track my deer.
It had been some thirty years sense I had been back home to Iowa and everyone treated me like I still lived there. It was a very enjoyable experince, except for the dang cold
smile.gif

Good luck and enjoy your time afield!
Dennis

Top Bottom