Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on Pheasants

risto2351

I plan on doing some walking this weekend for the elusive ringed necked pheasant. I was just wondering of some public area West of the Charles City/Mason City area that may hold one or two birds. Does anyone have any suggestions for a guy and his young dog?
Thank you in advance.

I'm sure birds have been or will be there. Go hunt it & report back. Lots of birds are killed on public land but none on this forum.

With the low numbers I doubt your going to find anyone willing to give out info like this. However I will say numbers were very good earlier in the year. I don't play around with state ground for upland but I can tell you been it more guys hunting this year than past 5 combined, with that being said birds are a lot tougher to come by this late in the season. Just like anything else get out there and find out for yourself, I'm sure if you find some ground with good cover and an adequate food source close by there's good chance there's birds to be had.

Honestly there are a few good grounds around... but most of the ground I know have been pounded by out of staters while the shotgunners were out and about... East of Charles City area pry has been odds IMO

Not sure about up there, but FWIW, I've seen more pheasants this year that the last 3 combined. Hopefully that's a good sign. Never hurts to try.

Not sure about up there, but FWIW, I've seen more pheasants this year that the last 3 combined. Hopefully that's a good sign. Never hurts to try.
Ditto. I've shot and seen a lot of birds on both public and private this year in Boone/Story/Marshall Counties. Your dog will help you. Best bet is to knock on some doors and get some private ground. Might have more luck getting permission if it's just you and your dog and not a big group.

I love hunting public land late season. The fair weater hunters are home watching football and the birds have moved from the private to the public land due to more cover and feed. I have limited out more times on public in late season then somrtimes on private.

I love hunting public land late season. The fair weater hunters are home watching football and the birds have moved from the private to the public land due to more cover and feed. I have limited out more times on public in late season then somrtimes on private.

Thanks guys.
I love late season hunting as well and we should be able to kick up a few birds. That is all I am after. After putting my dog down 15 years ago it is like starting over with the new one.

Booner / Altiman,
I wasn't really expecting anybody to give me their honey hole, just the general direction. I will be out there and pound it regardless of the doom and gloom. As you mentioned I will find out for myself, I usually do. :D

My PERSONAL Pheasant experience this year (When the Pheasants are rebounding alledgedly)

I live within a short mile of 20,000 acres of HABITAT. PUBLIC USE AREA!!!!!! Since the opening of the Pheasant season, on this side of the use area, I have seen exactly 0 pheasants. Nor hunters resident or nonresident. There likely are a few birds out there. In the summer I heard maybe a half dozen roosters. Some on private ground.

If you REALLY want to hunt birds, it is not crowded in this public area. Hunting being different from harvesting you see. Both of the Dakotas have good numbers of birds, but the natives bemoan the declining bird numbers also. BUY THE GAS AND HEAD FOR THE DAKOTAS.

I got a buddy who heads out to some public by clear lake and does well quite often. Not sure of the area because I don't ask but he said there are plenty of birds out there.

My PERSONAL Pheasant experience this year (When the Pheasants are rebounding alledgedly)

I live within a short mile of 20,000 acres of HABITAT. PUBLIC USE AREA!!!!!! Since the opening of the Pheasant season, on this side of the use area, I have seen exactly 0 pheasants. Nor hunters resident or nonresident. There likely are a few birds out there. In the summer I heard maybe a half dozen roosters. Some on private ground.

If you REALLY want to hunt birds, it is not crowded in this public area. Hunting being different from harvesting you see. Both of the Dakotas have good numbers of birds, but the natives bemoan the declining bird numbers also. BUY THE GAS AND HEAD FOR THE DAKOTAS.

Yep, NO pheasants around Brushy :rolleyes:

I originally was heading for the Dakotas but something came up on my partners end. Yes there are good numbers there also. I will be fine. I have a set destination in mind and even a few buddies that have told me about a few areas. Whether I am hunting or harvesting I will have fun because I am just out there. We will see what happens.
Bigbuck, thank you for the response. It will be an adventure.

As promised here is what I found on Friday.
The last three pheasants in Iowa. :D

OakleyPheasants_zps58c61226.jpg
OakleyPheasants_zps58c61226.jpg

Well done! That makes for a memorable day! Dog looks like he/she would rather keep hunting than pose for a picture though... :rolleyes: I know that the photo op is my dogs' least favorite part of the hunt.

Are ya sure you weren't duck hunting in those cattails? A little species confusion perhaps?

It's good to see hunters get their limits again. Congrats.

Me and step daughter went out this morning on my land in NE iowa and chased up 5 roosters and three hens only went 1/4 mile short waterway. Didn't get any they flushed about 50 yards ahead of us. But good to see some.

Top Bottom