Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on shotgun season

Hillwalker

If I go 1st season shotgun can I go with my 12 year old son if I buy him a tag during 2nd season. It would not be a party hunt.

I believe that you need to have licenses in the same season. Anyone without a valid license can't be a part of or assist the hunt in anyway. You should call your local DNR people to see how they read the law. Good luck.

Yes, you can go with him second season. You cannot carry a gun and must remain with him, (no drives to him). I'll be doing the same thing with my nephew....it's a great way to pass along hunting experience and traditions. For those under 16 that have not been through a Hunter Education class yet, by law an adult must accompany the youngster.

Based on my discussions with the DNR and with a conservation officer, I would have to disagree. I was planning to something similar - go with my 9 year old during early muzzleloader and then hunt 1st season shotgun myself. I was told very explicitly that I must have a license for the season to be in the woods around a deer hunter. If I were to point out a deer, help track, help dress, or help drag it out, I'm participating in the hunt and must have a license for that season.

The only exception to this is the youth season - but my son is a few years away from being 12. So, we are both hunting 1st season together - I just hope the weather isn't too cold for him.

Turkey season is a different story - you just need a license for any season to assist someone else.

I take my boys along with me when I'm bow hunting. The officer said this was OK as it was more of an educational thing - I guess they are not participating. My 7 year old was sure excited to see me harvest a doe in the urban hunt this year.

I guess these rules are in place to keep someone from buying a license for their child and dragging them along but shooting the deer themself. But, it is too bad the law abiding hunters (and kids) have to suffer.

Top Bottom