Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

question on use of oust xp

bwese

I am pondering if I can use oust xp to kill everything in the firebreak zone of my new crp and then plant in Sept with oats, clover, and alfalfa. I can't find anything on how long the residual is but did find on the label is says grasses can be planted 3 months after application. So, to me oats are good to go but not sure on the broadleaf plants.

Has anybody on here used oust and then planted clover/alfalfa 3 or 4 months later? I plan to spray with oust in late April.

I am pondering if I can use oust xp to kill everything in the firebreak zone of my new crp and then plant in Sept with oats, clover, and alfalfa. I can't find anything on how long the residual is but did find on the label is says grasses can be planted 3 months after application. So, to me oats are good to go but not sure on the broadleaf plants.

Has anybody on here used oust and then planted clover/alfalfa 3 or 4 months later? I plan to spray with oust in late April.
Would have to be very low rate. 1 oz if it’s not a bottom for example.
Why not seed the clover/alfalfa now?

Thank you Skip. I appreciate your thoughts. I was thinking the lowest rate as well. The reason I'm not doing it now is that is heavy with brome and nwsg. I don't believe I can get a good enough kill this spring to allow the clover and alfalfa to do well. The nrcs guy wants me to also wait until August to mow, spray gly in Sept, and then drill.

I want to make sure I have the 30' firebreak strips dead for optimum clover and alfalfa growth.

There’s some chance that oust doesn’t kill ur NWSG if they are well established. Cool seasons will be hammered for sure. But u have all summer to work on em if they don’t die.
u do have infinite solutions to get clover or alfalfa in if u either wanted to do it now or wanted an alternative to Oust. I think ur plan is good but u do have other options if u needed them. Every single thing out there clearly has its ups and downs.

There is also a logistics problem with the farm I'm doing this on being 3 hrs away. I can't just be there at the drop of a hat on days that are best for spraying ect. It has to fit into work schedule. With the crp I'm installing on my farms where I live I have my hands full until May 1st. I then can't do anything until July 16 so I have limited time to get it all done. Time is my biggest issue, that and I'm a one man band.:)

What is one of the other herbicides I could use prior to May 1st to kill the nwsg and brome? It is in northern NE of me and the nwsg never come out of dormancy there until sometime in May. On my farms in se NE it usually is coming out by end of the 3rd week.

Again, thank you Skip for sharing your thoughts. Keep em coming.

With that schedule- u get lil more limited. mechanical comes to mind + spray but that’s a bit of a pain I spose & not ideal for soil... disc & tearing up. One time of tearing up- not so bad though

one could experiment some..... go hit very hard with Gly + ammonium sulfate. Kill what’s there. Seed clover/alfalfa. Hit it a couple times later with clethodim & crop oil. Would kill grasses with a few heavy sprayings.

Another method technically is frost seeding or drilling clover. Then repeatedly hitting with clethodim & crop oil.

One method id think about if time.... mow it in beginning august (ideally mow. Spose u could nuke it without but not as ideal). Spray regrowth w/heavy Gly + ams, get it either worked or drilled with clovers & alfalfa or the dbltree rye mix with clover & alfalfa. Meaning: u could have this all tackled in the month of august to very early sept.

Any scenerio- U r likely looking at later sprayings of clethodim + crop oil. NWSG is simply hard to kill. Hitting it in summer as it’s going into seed creation phase or before it goes dormant is good too.

if u go oust- like before - go light and still be ready to hit natives again later.

all of these & some more have ups & downs. Depends on time & equipment. I’d pick ur path & go for it. Clethodim & crop oil r probably going to be part of any clean up or issue down road

My plan is to go with your suggestion of August hammer time(mow as short as possible, wait a couple weeks, gly bomb it, and drill.. I may do a light oust dusting in April and then in August do the above.

I can only plant what the biologist says I can plant. alfalfa, red clover, and oats. Some other clover species may blow into this area at some point during the winter.

In the spring I will hit with thunder after clover and alfalfa gets big enough. Then cleth and we should be good to go.

Thanks again Skip. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts again.

Top Bottom