Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Raspberries?

newfarmer

What is everyones thoughts on Raspberries being beneficial at all? The place I bought has about 2 acres of them, albeit, overgrown and needs weed control somehow... Which then leads me to, what can be done for weed control in Raspberry bushes?

What is everyones thoughts on Raspberries being beneficial at all? The place I bought has about 2 acres of them, albeit, overgrown and needs weed control somehow... Which then leads me to, what can be done for weed control in Raspberry bushes?
I personally like raspberries. Beneficial (vs say multiflora rose) Maybe not 2 acres worth I guess if it’s solid mess. Can deer walk through them? It’s not hard to get rid of them or cut paths. Usually raspberries are the start of young growth timber.
can deer walk through them? Bed there? Or are they so overgrown they need to be thinned back?

I also like wild black raspberries and spend hours the end of June every year gathering them for our home made black raspberry jelly. Best jelly ever!
As far as beneficial for wildlife I'd say absolutely but not high on a deer's diet though they will eat the tender new canes sprouting in the spring and the leaves in the fall. They can maneuver through patches and will use them for cover, just jumped a fawn in a raspberry bush yesterday while picking. I'm sure turkey and pheasants enjoy them as well.

Yeah, deer can walk through them and bed in them. They are just full of nettle and parsnip as well....So the wife wants to pick some, but is afraid to go inside at all. We were told that they use to do berry picking many years ago is why there are so many of them, would be nice to at least get some of it weed free but just dont know the best options... Thanks

Yeah, deer can walk through them and bed in them. They are just full of nettle and parsnip as well....So the wife wants to pick some, but is afraid to go inside at all. We were told that they use to do berry picking many years ago is why there are so many of them, would be nice to at least get some of it weed free but just dont know the best options... Thanks
Get her a pair of brush pants and spray them with Permethrin ahead of time. No ticks, chiggers or getting scratched up. I carry a walking stick also to move stems out of the way to work myself in. Worth the effort for me, enjoy!

Top Bottom