Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rattling Success: Something to chew on...

DannyBoy

Over my short bowhunting career of 6 years I've noticed some things to hold true thus far regarding my rattling success. I think it may have something to do with the population I'm hunting. Let me clarify...

A majority of the farms I hunt have poor buck to doe ratios with nothing short of an overabundance of does. On these farms I've found rattling to be most effective WELL outside of the peak rut, say, pre-rut from mid-October to the end of the month, and post-rut from mid-November to Thanksgiving. Does this have something to do with the competition factor?

Anyways, here are my theories.

1. Pre-rut rattling has been effective because the bucks are actively seeking estrus does long before they are ready. They are willing to compete when options are limited.

2. Peak rut rattling is ineffective for me because there is no need to compete. Bucks can just move on to the next doe with minimal effort.

3. Post-rut rattling is effective because bucks are actively seeking that one last doe. They are willing to compete again because of the limited options.

I know there is always that period during the peak breeding when buck activity is reflective of doe activity, and it can be slow. But other than that, those couple weeks either side of the peak always seem to be slow for me as far as response to calling, of any kind.

So, am I on target here? Over-analyzing?

Give me some feedback. Don't be scared to call me an idiot, I won't take offense, just back it up!

Can't argue with that.. Darn few of us would leave a hot date to go to a fist fight.
Even if it's her old man, our first impulse is to get her the heck out of Dodge.

Well I can't really comment on the post rut rattling because I've never even tried it. I lay down the antlers once a single buck starts bedding down with a single doe and they're set apart from the others. Typically I only rattle the last week of October an maybe into the first week of November anymore having tried a wider window in years past with limited to zero success. Just me though, I'm sure other's experiences will vary greatly.

Snyde remark.. :D

I hunted a state park last year where there were piles of bucks.. The rattling worked the same way out there as well. The fact that every deer is cruising for an available doe and finding them easier during peak rut would keep them from a fight. But, I would have to say the snort wheeze, bleats, and grunt call during those peak time can be very hot.

I think it also depends on the age class of bucks in your area. I tried a decoy and rattling setup last night for the first time this year. Just after sunset I had a visual of 2 decent bucks at separate times. The first was a heavy horned 9 that I passed earlier in the season. He's got great potential, but needs another year. A few minutes later a little better 10 showed up. I tried rattling to both of them, and it's worth noting that I used a big, heavy set of rattling antlers. Both had a very negative and passive reaction to the rattling. Neither buck ever got to a position where they could see the decoy. I'm interpreting their reactions to the rattling to be a good sign, meaning there are likely a couple of bigger dominant bucks in the area that have already kicked a little bootie. I have the best success rattling in bucks with the rattling bag, but they are often 2.5 year olds. This year I'm going to try the bigger set hoping to intercept that one giant who is the king of the hill, and if I spook the younger bucks, so be it. Just my thoughts...who knows for sure???

Top Bottom