Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Redemption Buck

CurtisWalker

After a long season of close calls during bow season I looked forward to late muzzleloader with high hopes. My number one started showing up regularly during gun 1 in daylight but disappeared a couple days later. I soon found out the neighbor harvested him. With him gone I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. Well I talked to a good friend and he told me to go down and hunt his farm during late season. So I went down and hunted on the 23rd of December and man what a game changer that was. My motivation was reignited as we saw probably 30 deer. That’s a lot compared to the 2 a sit at home. Well as I left I started getting a bad headache which isn’t the norm for me so I decided I should probably test for covid before going and seeing the wife’s family for Christmas on the 24th. Well I tested positive so the next 10 days were spent quarantining. I was completely out of energy but tried to hunt one of those days. Discovering quickly that that was a poor choice. Fast forward to the 4th I decided to hunt again. I was nice and relaxed in the sun with my boots off and I look over my shoulder to see 6 deer in the field. Wondering when they got in the field I looked over to see another doe walking towards the plot. I pull my binos up and look and see one of the bucks I was after at 130 yards and closing behind the doe coming to the plot. Well I get the muzzleloader up and ready on the shooting pod. Take the time to put my boots back on. He mills around in the plot for awhile before I finally get a shot. I settle on him and slowly squeeze off the shot. To my surprise he dropped in his tracks. I rushed to get reloaded only to see him get back to his feet and take off. Wednesday I spent the day tracking him with no luck. Fast forward to last night me and my close friend drove down to hunt the final day. I finally got the right wind to hunt my favorite blind again. After the army of turkeys filed through deer began entering the plot. Doe, fawn, doe, fawn. Around 4:45 the first antlered deer enters the field followed by another. I watched the second deer and recognized him as he was an older 7 point I was more than willing to shoot if he got close enough. So as he slowly made his way through the plot as other deer filled in I switched seats to shoot the West side of the plot where the 7pt ended up. Around 5:15 I look up to see another buck entering the plot in the NE corner. I look in the binos and realize it’s the buck I had shot on Tuesday. Well my mind was made up that it was him or nothing. He began to slowly make his way towards us. 25 deer ranging from 5 to 50 yards from the blind were going to be the obstacle I would have to overcome. I was set up to shoot the west side and now he was coming down the east side. He gets to about 120 yards and I hear my buddy say you have 7 minutes left. Not able to move as I have 3 does head bobbing at the blind window I’m shaking holding the muzzleloader as still as I can. The buck still straight on as he makes it to 100yrds. “4 minutes” I gently put the barrel out the window, leaning over trying to get on the buck. All I hear is deer running, looking through the scope I can see the buck doing the typical looking around like “what’s going on”. I settle on his front shoulder and squeeze it off. Smoke filled my scope and I have no clue what was going on. My buddy tells me I smoked him and he dropped in his tracks. My first words were “is he getting up” he assured me he wasn’t. After closer inspection I hit him on Tuesday about 1.5” before the top line. Not sure how I was that high especially when I was as calm as I have ever been on an animal.
55b647175ab9682a21866d269e11ab5a.jpg

5a9e45a636fb1fb7fedcf4333e9eab68.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I m hearing about more and more people who Filled their tag on the last day. That’s awesome. Congrats.

Great job CWTR! Last minutes of last day- the best feeling & I’ve only done it once! (Deer named Chad ;) )
Anyone have any idea why a bullet in the flesh would make the deer drop like he’s done but he’s still just fine? My only theory WAS when u hit a bone …. It shocks them - kinda like being knocked out with a punch to the head. But- doesn’t sound like bone was hit- maybe it’s still just such a shock to them?? Not sure. I’ve heard this story a lot of times!!

Covid, old deer & successful last day - all came together- heck of a way to wrap up this tough season!

Covid, old deer & successful last day - all came together- heck of a way to wrap up this tough season!
I agree with Ship, way to get it done!!! I was getting nervous just reading what you were going through, almost like being there, congrats Curtis!

Great job CWTR! Last minutes of last day- the best feeling & I’ve only done it once! (Deer named Chad ;) )
Anyone have any idea why a bullet in the flesh would make the deer drop like he’s done but he’s still just fine? My only theory WAS when u hit a bone …. It shocks them - kinda like being knocked out with a punch to the head. But- doesn’t sound like bone was hit- maybe it’s still just such a shock to them?? Not sure. I’ve heard this story a lot of times!!

When Curtis was telling me about it, I thought that maybe he hit close to the spine and the “shock” of getting hit dropped the deer.

Nice one. I'm not surprised that he went down that first hit. Those muzzleloaders pack a pretty big punch.
Bet it felt good getting another chance. Congrats!

Nice buck- in about 3 more years. I can't believe how some experienced hunters feel compelled to shoot any buck at the end of the season so they can pound their chest. Notice only a couple of the responses say nice deer. If you wouldn't shoot a deer during the season why would you shoot it at the end of the season. If you need the meat shoot a doe. I know- I am that guy. I have said before you have to do a circle jerk when somebody on here shoots a deer. On other hunting web sites you can say what you are thinking but not this one. That is why other websites have thousands of members and this one has one little group of diehards. I hope it was Skippy that let you hunt since he pimps you to do his contests and his facebook. After all he has about 1700 acres in Warren County

Nice buck- in about 3 more years. I can't believe how some experienced hunters feel compelled to shoot any buck at the end of the season so they can pound their chest. Notice only a couple of the responses say nice deer. If you wouldn't shoot a deer during the season why would you shoot it at the end of the season. If you need the meat shoot a doe. I know- I am that guy. I have said before you have to do a circle jerk when somebody on here shoots a deer. On other hunting web sites you can say what you are thinking but not this one. That is why other websites have thousands of members and this one has one little group of diehards. I hope it was Skippy that let you hunt since he pimps you to do his contests and his facebook. After all he has about 1700 acres in Warren County

I shot him on the 4th with plenty of season left. Shot him again on the 10th. A plenty mature whitetail for that fact. And no it wasn’t Skip’s farm. Good try though.

Also me experienced hunter? Nah I’m still in my young years teaching myself. Don’t forget I only started deer hunting 10 years ago. Only a fraction to most people.

Last edited:
Mom is yelling that your meatloaf is reheated for dinner!!! You gotta come up from the basement once in a while & not normal for grown men to play with Star Wars action figures all day.
You don’t have to take your insecurities out on others or their deer.

Spewing ignorance doesn’t help your cause. It’s hilarious how foolish you sound. I won’t even dive into this hilarious garbage. I don’t even own ground in warren county. What a dope!!! Curtis shoots an older deer than you (which that deer is FIVE - fact. & not from my land) & u don’t dare post your deer cause ur jealous & honestly - pretty bizarre. Are you obsessed or a stalker looking up who owns land where or who posts what? Weird dude. This takes the cake as the #1 most bizarre post of 2022. Since we do a buck contest - NOT TO MAKE $ - purely for fun!!…. Maybe we need a biggest dbag prize?!?!? Or heck- for FUN- let’s see a picture of u or your room in your parents basement. You won the prize…. I’ll give it to your mom….

Why…? Nothing like this needs to be said or pointed out. Not all deer will be booners just because you let them go until the following year. It’s up to the landowner and the hunters they allow to hunt to determine how they want to manage their herd. Unless you own the land the deer was shot on why have an opinion about the quality or maturity of the deer. That’s an honest question by the way.

Top Bottom