Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Reducing passthroughs on birds

DLO

I look in admiration when I see hunting videos showing guys taking turkeys with a bow, and seeing the arrow stop, in the bird, dumping all it's energy on target. The next scene in the video is always the hunter walking back to the blind, with his bird AND his arrow!

I have yet to take a turkey without a comlete pass-through, and more times than not, a lost arrow. My 70 lb Outback is turned down to about 62 lbs for turkeys....any less would back my limb bolt out too far for my comfort. I'm shooting 100gr Spitfires. What are you guys doing to reduce the possibility of a pass-through on your birds? I'm assuming a broadhead change is in order but have had no experience with any others when bird hunting.

2 inch Rocket Hammerheads...Nasty!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
2 inch Rocket Hammerheads...Nasty!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree strongly with that.

I'm going to try those suckers this year, along with heavier aluminum arrows. There are a few things you can put behind the normal heads to slow them down as well... here's a pic of a few broadheads I've used. The springy thing behind the muzzy is called a "grasshopper" spring that will stop the arrow, the all metal thingy behind the second muzzy is an adder point and they work well too. Last is just a plain old rocket mini blaster.

411BroadheadsDiffs-med.JPG

I'm going to a heavier broadhead with a bigger cutting diameter and seeing how it works this year. 4 bladed Rocket Hammerheads, 2 inch cut each way, should knock some big holes.

Any other questions?

Muddy, it seems like the add-ons would complicate the thru-the-net shots. Have you had any troubles with that? I have considered putting something behind the broadhead but haven't because most of my birds have been taken from a T2 and shot through the net. I just bought a Matrix so I'll more than likely shoot with the net up this season.

I'm getting the impression that slowing the arrow down should be my first goal...I may consider going to aluminum arrows with heavier broadheads.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Didn't catch the shooting through the mesh part. I am pretty sure that the grasshopper stopper thingy will be BAD for mesh netting. The adder point might be ok, but I'm not sure. I keep the windows totally open so I don't worry about it. I am also pretty sure that my hammerheads are BAD for netting as well. Any expandable that has the "L" shape on the end of the blades won't work through mesh...I think.

DLO,
I never use the shoot through netting and use a lighter arrow for less KE and the hammerheads seem to do the trick. The arrows are traveling faster but also slow down faster when they hit something...L shaped blades = a bad deal on the shoot through.

I'd recommend switching to a larger cut with your BH. Rocket 4 blade Hammerheads (108 grs/2" cut), or better yet, Rocket Sledgehammer (150 grs/3 1/2" cut). Never heard of a passthrough with a Sledgehammer, and even if there was...he wouldn't go far!

Here are my favorites from left to right 1) Sledgehammer 2)4-bl Hammerhead 3) Spitfire w/adder point
TurkeyBHs2.jpg

Have any of you guys ever tried sanding the tips on your expandables to a bullet tip?Just wondering if this may reduce passthroughs on smaller 3 or 4 blade expanables?I know it didn't work on the 2 bladed spitfires I modified.I had these laying around and wanted to use them for something,so I sanded the tips to a bullet tip,but still passed through.For this reason I was considering an extra blade,like the 3 bladed Gobbler Getters that already have a bullet tip.just wondering if the combination of extra blades and a bullet tip may work?This would be for open windows only though.

I dull mine up a little by shooting into a block foam target a few times with them. The bows these days have enough power to push dulled blades in. Shot placement is the biggest factor.

Top Bottom