Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Replicas or skin mounts?

DannyBoy

Just curious what some of you prefer for mounting fish and why?

Have looked into replicas but there is just something about them that I'm unsure of, though I can't put my finger on it.

Can you custom order replicas by both length and girth, then have a good taxi paint to match according to pics taken?

I don't know how many times I've had a darn big fish in my hands and reluctantly threw it back it. Obviously, practicing CPR (catch-photo-release) is a more sustainable method where replicas come in handy and I've done this with a lot of sm. and lm. bass, etc. But fish like crappie, perch and bluegill, which I think make some of the coolest mounts after you get a small school on some driftwood, have always hit the filet board, and I've caught some giants.

Thoughts?

I have seen some excellent quality replica mounts and have destined myself for that approach. It's obviously my own personal approach, but I can't bring myself to take a fish just to put it on the wall if I'm not going to eat it. I instill in my kids that we don't kill something unless we're going to eat it, so I can't see myself doing anything other than CPR. I'd rather have the memories, photos and a good replica than the actual fish. Again, that's my own personal opinion and in no way am I condemning anyone who has fish mounted. I've always loved the panfish schools like you, but passing up those good slabs would be tough. I have some from my younger days. Having said all of that, I have done quite a bit of research and there are some good taxidermists out there that specialize in fish replicas. They use all of the measurements and photos to create a good replica.

Signature Taxidermy is a local shop that does great work. Take a look at some of the fish mounts: http://signaturetaxidermy.tripod.com/northamericanphotogallery/index.album/random_025?i=176

But the bottom line is I wouldn't hesitate to do a replica.

I've been told freeze drying is the way to go but I have personally never made a side by side comparison.

Replicas look too fake to me. The mouths are all wrong & the entire mount isn't detailed enough for me. Catfish are the only fish I would have a replica of. Anything w/ scales would be the real deal, no fake fish.

I'd probably opt for the real deal as well.

I've not had a fish mounted, but a friend of mine recently had a nice walleye done and he got his meat back from the taxidermist. Not sure if that'd be true for all fish, and not sure exactly how that works, but he did get to eat it.

NWBuck

shop around and find a quality fish taxi. I'll never get a skin mount done again, they really fade after time. A good replica far exceeds a skin mount in my opinion, plus the fish gets to swim to fight another day.

Replica for me!
:way:

Top Bottom