Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Restoring herters 6 wheel compound

Bowhunt

I recently came across this 6 wheel compound bow in my basement. The bow was my dad's from the early 70's. I started hunting with this bow, I never killed anything with it, but I had a blast chasing the deer. I would like to take it out and try to tag a deer with it this year for fun. I was wondering how can I refinish the wood that has been spray painted, and where can I find a new string for it. Also should I be careful about using a bow so old. By that I mean is there a chance the limbs may be cracked? Are there any signs of wear that I should look for? I found a picture of this bow at archeryhistory.com under 1970's compound bow. So everyone can see what I am working with. Thanks for any advice, and I look forward to taking the bow out for fun!

Bowhunt, I think it would be a great project. I'm sure you could have a custom string made for it. I don't know about the limb question but if you get into it and start to refinish it I'm sure you'll know if it looks too bad to repair. It's a good looking bow. Certainly worthy of your time, especially considering you and your Dad have some history with it.

Here's the picture of your bow,courtesy of Archeryhistory.com
582Herters_6_Wheel.jpg

Best of Luck!

Top Bottom