Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roaming buck or not??

Bowman D

Hi All, I'm a new member and thought I would pose a question to you all. This is my second year of bowhunting, and although I've learned a lot I still know I have a lot to learn. I was out last night on some awesome property when the biggest buck I have ever seen stepped out about 40 yards away from me. I could not get a shot at him due to some branches in my shooting lane. I have been out at this same property about 7 or 8 times and have not seen him until last night. He tore up some small saplings for about 10 minutes and made a rub on a bigger tree about 15 yards apart. My question is whether or not this buck will come back or if he is just moving through the property due to the rut? The area I am hunting sits on top of a bluff, it is timber that seperates corn fields and river bottoms that are real thick. I have a lot of does bedding down in the river bottoms that go past my area right before dark, I'm assuming to bed down..
Just looking for some insight, hopefully this wasn't too lengthy, but wanted to portray it accurately! Any advice will help.

If you got some good lookin does and good cover my guess is he will stick around for a while. Only one way to find out.

i concur, although there are two ways. first obviously be to get out, but second is to get a camera up. On my 640 acre farm, i have photos of a lot of the bigger bucks moving around the farm quite a bit. the bucks really arent putting on a ton of miles yet, so thers a pretty good chance hes around if hes cover food cover and female company

Thanks Mike, definitely will be out as much as possible. Just in awe at the size of him. Just itching for a clean shot at him, was out tonight and saw nothing but does. Heard a lot of grunts though. Wondering when he may reappear at that scrape?

he might. again, only one way to find out, but try not to get greedy, only go in there if the wind's right. i dont think bucks have a preference for indivdual scrapes, but hunting near won't defintely won't hurt you at this point in the year

where there's one nice buck there are probably a half dozen more within roaming range you'll not know about until they walk under. hunt smart and opportunity will knock at your door.

The only way you will know is if you see him again. Hunting a specific deer is a tough one can be very rewarding and very frustrating.

Thanks for the advice guys. In the two short years I've been bowhunting I have never seen anything at all comparable to this buck. It would definitely be the buck of a lifetime. Hopefully I'll have a picture to post in the next couple of weeks!
P.S. Any helpful hints on rattling bucks to me?

Top Bottom