Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rock climbing harness vs full body

Liv4Rut

Has anyone made the switch to a rock climbing harness over the traditional full body harness? I think I am going to make the switch. I really like the thought of falling facing the tree and suspension trauma is not an issue with them.

I suppose if you do it right you should never fall lower than your platform but the thought of what would happen if you could not get back on your stand / steps. I think it would be hard to maneuver with your back against tree with all your weight on rope. I hope I never have to find out but it seems the rock climbing harness would be the ticket plus they are smaller and lighter to pack.

What are your thoughts??

My first thought is that the safety rope would be in the way of moving in the stand, even a danger. It would have to wrap around your body to the front. I would be more worried about bashing my face into the tree, steps or stand if falling face first into them. If your back is to them you at least have a chance to tuck your chin and not make contact with your head. You also have a better chance of ending up upside down in a climbing harness.

Those are my first thoughts. I might be wrong, though. If traditional safety harness had wider leg straps or padding, the lose of circulation to the legs could be minimized.

This guy did a pretty good demonstration of one. I do think he should of had his tie in adjusted a little higher but maybe I am wrong. It seems on another website I go to everyone is switching over to them.

The thoughts you had were kind of my initial thoughts as well but after watching a lot of videos as well as actual rock climbing falls were people are falling 10-20ft (we would only be a foot at most or so I think) they dont seem too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOPf6BymVg

I am in a spot where I hate my current harness. It was an expensive one but the leg straps just never seem to sit right when i stand up or sit down etc.

You will never get the leg straps right. Just have to be snug. After 8 yrs of jumping out of planes for a living, I never did find a truly comfortable way to have leg straps adjusted for both sitting and standing. Just don't want them to loose, or you will end up minus one family jewel.

I made the switch during the season this year, have only had a few hunts with the rc harness but I like it so far. Light weight, comfortable, I wore it underneath my bibs and couldn't even tell it was on while walking to the stand. I tie off with just enough slack to be able to stand and rotate all the way to the side to shoot behind the tree. If I were to fall it would only be a foot or two. Best part is you can get a good one for 50-60 bucks

Never thought about using one, but looks like it would work well. I like not having the tether rope interfere with drawing/shooting your bow. And as noted, should be easier to get back in the stand. What brand do you use now?

I am going to buy the Black Diamond Vario. That is the one a lot of guys are switching too. It has a big loop in the front that will slip out of your insulated pants or bibs if you open the bottom zipper. Also has an open front so you can take a leak. They are about $50.

For the tether, I am going to use my HSS rope style tree strap attachment. It has plenty of length to do the job well.

The only drawback I can think of is whenever I wear a rock climbing harness it's a little tighter fit than my full body hunting hunting harness. The tether attaches in the front at more of a belt/belly button level than crotch level, which is fine if you have plenty of slack to go through your crotch zipper.

Good idea though, I will probably make the switch myself in the future. I don't like my current harness either, I always get a draft down my neck and the metal parts clanked together until I taped them all with athletic tape.

After looking into this, I may try this system out. By far cheaper and lighter weight. I usually place the rope attached to the tree low, almost to my seat. I figure that if I fall, I want to clear the stand so I do not hit it.

I think it looks great for hanging stands. I like bibs and if I would put it under them I don't know how comfortable it would be not to mention probably a little more fun to take a leak. It might be better to wear over the bibs instead of under?

Top Bottom