Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

If not incorporating, granular AMS (21-0-0-24S) is your friend. Even treated Urea will have substantial losses.

AMS is super stable, the sulfur is a great bonus that corn needs as well. It's also a much slower release than Urea.

Good read on the topic:

Is granular AMS something I can go to the COOP and ask for? Or will they look at me funny? :D

Is granular AMS something I can go to the COOP and ask for? Or will they look at me funny? :D
Not sure if that would be the same as spray grade ams, but I know they would have that. They even carry spray grade ams at theisens, but I suspect it might be finer particles so it dilutes easily in water.

Not at all, my local Ag Services has it in bulk, but will also bag for me. Its one of the most common forms of Nitrogen. Most of the Co-Ops around me just carry spray grade AMS. NOT the same as spray grade AMS. Spray grade also has some emulsifiers in it I believe. Not the same product.

FYI - Granular fertilizer grade AMS looks looks gray or light brown, not sheet white like Urea.

Not at all, my local Ag Services has it in bulk, but will also bag for me. Its one of the most common forms of Nitrogen. Most of the Co-Ops around me just carry spray grade AMS. NOT the same as spray grade AMS. Spray grade also has some emulsifiers in it I believe. Not the same product.

FYI - Granular fertilizer grade AMS looks looks gray or light brown, not sheet white like Urea.
I think the neighbor put that down last year. I was shed hunting a herd-to-reach field and saw fertilizer I didn't recognize. Field ended up in corn, so it must have been that.

So I’ve got a question. Does anyone alternate rows of corn/beans? I’ve got a 2 row planter and was going to try 2 rows corn- 2 rows beans, etc, but wondering if the corn would shade the beans to much on only 2 rows (30 inch rows)

So I’ve got a question. Does anyone alternate rows of corn/beans? I’ve got a 2 row planter and was going to try 2 rows corn- 2 rows beans, etc, but wondering if the corn would shade the beans to much on only 2 rows (30 inch rows)
There used to be a farmer here that used to alternate passes corn and beans. Did it quite a few years. He claimed the beans provided nitrogen to the corn to make it better. He doesn't do it anymore so it must not have been great but it is possible. The guy was super smart. Worked with John deere developing autosteer equipment.

I've tried it the last 2 years doing 4 rows of each. Even with an electric fence up all summer, the deer destroyed the bean rows. The corn just acts as a big funnel that guides them up and down the rows of beans. Also, if you're broadcasting fertilizer, you waste some dollars. I'm done with the experiment for now.

There used to be a farmer here that used to alternate passes corn and beans. Did it quite a few years. He claimed the beans provided nitrogen to the corn to make it better. He doesn't do it anymore so it must not have been great but it is possible. The guy was super smart. Worked with John deere developing autosteer equipment.
The idea behind that is the outside row effect. Outside 1st row of corn next to the beans yields x% more than the others, multiplied across all those extra passes across the field. The 2nd row next to the 1st row, next to the bean pass, yields less than that 1st row but more than the further inside rows. That's the theory. Now factor in reality and practicality. The smart guys who all tried it here have stopped.

The idea behind that is the outside row effect. Outside 1st row of corn next to the beans yields x% more than the others, multiplied across all those extra passes across the field. The 2nd row next to the 1st row, next to the bean pass, yields less than that 1st row but more than the further inside rows. That's the theory. Now factor in reality and practicality. The smart guys who all tried it here have stopped.
There are a lot of Mennonite around here that do it yet, but I get why the big farmers don’t. Guess I’m looking more food plot related versus big yields

Alright, before I look like an idiot I want to run these numbers by you guys. I am planting 3.25 acres of corn. Extension agent said for my purposes 120 lbs. N/acre should do. COOP sells 21-0-0-24S for $440/ton plus $28.50/ton to rent the spreader cart. So the math says 2000lbs x 21%= 420lbs N/ton. 420lbs N / 3.25 acres = 129.25lbs of N per acre. So I could buy 1 ton to fertilize my plot for only $468.50 and not have to time a rain or worry about the fertilizer eating my equipment. Does that check out for you?

Alright, before I look like an idiot I want to run these numbers by you guys. I am planting 3.25 acres of corn. Extension agent said for my purposes 120 lbs. N/acre should do. COOP sells 21-0-0-24S for $440/ton plus $28.50/ton to rent the spreader cart. So the math says 2000lbs x 21%= 420lbs N/ton. 420lbs N / 3.25 acres = 129.25lbs of N per acre. So I could buy 1 ton to fertilize my plot for only $468.50 and not have to time a rain or worry about the fertilizer eating my equipment. Does that check out for you?

Yep, matches my math :D

Be sure and keep an eye on your spreader width so you aren't gapping.

Normally AMS is a touch higher in cost than Urea but factoring in the S requirements it about breaks even.

Due to the lack of volatilization of N into the air, AMS is a no til dream.

I would advise to spend $10 on a soil test.

Anyone with experience using resicore on their corn . I don't have a RUP license so I'm trying find a mix for my no- till corn , maybe add some simazine or dual if label says I can .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone with experience using resicore on their corn . I don't have a RUP license so I'm trying find a mix for my no- till corn , maybe add some simazine or dual if label says I can .

My suggestion... spend 2 hours reading the study guide, take the test, and buy acuron.

Lots of guys here use resicore and get along well. You need to be careful with overlaps. The stinger in resicore can carry over in dry weather into next year's crop depending on what you are planning to plant next year. Stinger can be rough on beans the following year. One other option is that you can buy accuron gt (not restricted use) and then add your simazine. But like Rob said it isn't that difficult to get the private pesticide license. Good luck.

My suggestion... spend 2 hours reading the study guide, take the test, and buy acuron.
Mission accomplished!
IMG_2499.jpg

Top Bottom