Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

How late would you guys still feel comfortable putting in some beans for the deer? Decided to give the deer a good chunk of acres of beans this year for the 1st time. Got stormed out again this week. Should be OK til mid July right? I know they won't get massively large, but still put on some growth and make a few pods for the deer? Since it'll be getting so late, figured could work the ground and plant them hopefully by or before mid July, then after emergence give a good shot of Roundup spray, then almost immediately broadcast brassicas in between the rows, around end of July. Thoughts?

Personal opinion 1st of July latest I would plant beans for deer and even then you are counting on staying moist in July, Aug, Sept. This isn't an absolute as I am sure some folks have planted later and gotten a result.

I just think at this point you are better off waiting until the end of July and going radishes and Turnips. Far more tonnage will come out of it.

my 2c.

Happy 4th of July! Randolph County MO. 1.4” of rain this morning and more on its way.
IMG_0667.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez nice crops! You're light years ahead of us here in N IL. I'm still weighting if I should try to plant a hair more sweet corn. I see a few bites from the deer on both crops ya got there. G'luck and happy 4th !

Personal opinion 1st of July latest I would plant beans for deer and even then you are counting on staying moist in July, Aug, Sept. This isn't an absolute as I am sure some folks have planted later and gotten a result.

I just think at this point you are better off waiting until the end of July and going radishes and Turnips. Far more tonnage will come out of it.

my 2c.

Agreed. ^^ OR you could plant rutabagas here pretty soon, mid-July.

Soybeans today here too at my farm here in MO.
My buddy sent me pics of his first attempt at Soybeans at his farm in WV. Fence saves another soybean plot.
IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Geez nice crops! You're light years ahead of us here in N IL. I'm still weighting if I should try to plant a hair more sweet corn. I see a few bites from the deer on both crops ya got there. G'luck and happy 4th !
The E Fence is deterring MOST of the deer. I do have a growth cage up on the beans and you can tell a slight difference. I was being lazy and should have went ahead and put up 3 strands.

The E Fence is deterring MOST of the deer. I do have a growth cage up on the beans and you can tell a slight difference. I was being lazy and should have went ahead and put up 3 strands.

Just my opinion...if you don't have three strands up I would think about doing so. I would be worried that you would be "training" some of those bean eaters this year that it pays to be a fence jumper and then in the future, they may try to jump a third strand on the memory of the good eats on the other side of the fence. :) Maybe I am giving those deer too much credit in the brainpower department, or not enough, but I would want complete "blockage" right from the jump. (Jump, get it? :) :))

Just my opinion...if you don't have three strands up I would think about doing so. I would be worried that you would be "training" some of those bean eaters this year that it pays to be a fence jumper and then in the future, they may try to jump a third strand on the memory of the good eats on the other side of the fence. :) Maybe I am giving those deer too much credit in the brainpower department, or not enough, but I would want complete "blockage" right from the jump. (Jump, get it? :) :))

I agree with you, I should. Though, I have had cameras up in the past and I have never seen a deer "jump" the fence. The boogers will high step over the outside line and slide under the inside line. The 3rd or knee high inside line would bring that to a stop i would think. Either way yes I need to, will I get around to it, yet to be determined.

I checked on the soybeans at dusk last night, 7 deer in the plot. This morning I got up early and got the third strand up. Should help

Went for it today. The timber ground dried up enough. Worked it twice. Lot of grass to try and uproot. Button weeds and random smallish marestail, but not overly weedy thanks to it being worked a month ago. I did consider the comments made about it being borderline too late, but seeing other local farmers still planting cash crop beans today made it easier to stomach. Hopeful they can emerge in no longer than 5 days. Still, plan is to get them sprayed and then interseeded with brassicas by early August.

What happens when you plant beans into a field that was prepped for corn ( anhydrous)? Anything besides wasted money?

Any pre-emergent herbicide put down? If none, then you will have a good bean crop. Maybe slight disease/pest carry over if beans last year.

Here’s some pics my buddy sent me of plot i planted for him on memorial day. Randolph County MO
Real world wildlife products Gen2 Soybeans
IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

^^^^. Spot on JNRBRONC. If it’s sprayed and weed free or low amount of weeds- yikes. Probably no go as corn pre-emergents such as atrazine & Mesotrione will toast beans (metolachlor is a safe one of course). No matter the herbicide - it should be “pretty safe” (lot of factors) in about 3 more weeks or so for other options. Brassicas are possible. For sure will be safe for a rye mix. But- hopefully it’s not sprayed like crazy. If it’s just prepped with N - u will be just fine. Change to different variety of beans vs last year is only thing I’d add.

Any pre-emergent herbicide put down? If none, then you will have a good bean crop. Maybe slight disease/pest carry over if beans last year.

No pres. Beans are up. It's on one of my cash rent ag farms. Guy just ran out of time for corn and I was wanting to know for my own knowledge. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom