Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

They say with extra N sometimes beans get lazy and put on a lot of vegetative growth but don't pod heavily. Not how it would necessarily play out, just sometimes. I saw some farms with fall nh3 get planted to beans in the past few weeks.

And I did plant some more sweet corn yesterday, 7/9. It's traited, roundup ready seed, but the field I planted it in has already been post sprayed. Guess I can brag about it being GMO Organic??

And I did plant some more sweet corn yesterday, 7/9. It's traited, roundup ready seed, but the field I planted it in has already been post sprayed. Guess I can brag about it being GMO Organic??

Umm, NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These beans look damn good for being planted about 10 days ago. Sprayed yesterday. This is on farm that had spring anhydrous applied for corn but ended up going beans.
4145542f39a0dad0f172873d1018bd91.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Well the jury is still out on my beans one month since being planted. They are starting to flower but are not getting very big. A good shot of rain would really help them. Haven't been sprayed yet. Staying pretty clean but probably about time. Weeds are easier to kill when they're small. Hoping for long and late summer!

20190809_154534.jpg

My beans are up over my waste here in NCMO and got 2.75" of rain last night, they were really needing that. Hopefully all the rain didnt wash my freshly seeded fall plot seed.

The July 8th food plot beans made a big jump in growth between my 8/9 pic and 8/31. They have the rows shaded and are close to waist high. Pods are there, but need time to fill. Weather has been cool and cloudy recently.

20190831_111416.jpg

I’ll post up pics of my arsenal for corn & bean herbicides. Several buddies asking for reminders again. Million choices. U can buy pre-mixed stuff which has 2-3 groups of herbicide in the mix - allows for broad spectrum coverage of weed groups & maximizing weed control for long period of time. Beans or corn- 2-3 pre emergents are a “must” IMO.

One example of my bean Arsenal is this...
1st spray:
GLY (2,4-d if delay in planting)
Fierce XLT
Second spray: glufosinate (my beans are liberty tolerant), metolachlor & fomesafen (Ive never had issues adding fall plots to bean ground).

corn: Acuron b herbicide of choice. I do mix my own cocktail which isn’t quite as good but still really solid...
1st spray
Atrazine (or simazine for anyone without RUP). Rest don’t need RUP....
2,4-d & ammonium sulfate & Gly
Metolachlor
Mesotrione
IF IF IF my corn needs 2nd spray - one pass with Gly or Gly + 2,4-d or Gly + metolachlor & it’s game over. Weeds have zero chance if they didn’t get out of hand and with the original burn down + pres, they really never had chance to get out of control.

Best planting conditions I remember in a while. Farmers way ahead. My plots be done by weeks end.

Commodity prices on the other hand.... yikes. $3 corn is going to make gigantic waves if it sticks around.

Its gonna get bad if something doesnt shake loose with this

Bet a dollar the fed steps in. They are everywhere else. Long term answer.... no clue. People are quick to mention cutting china supply chain, but think about when they quit buying grain. So many moving parts. Not good at the moment.

Every sector is in trouble in reality. Even doctors - buddy called me today who has his own clinic... down 75%. Yikes!!! Pigs around me- another disaster. But yep- planters are full steam!!! Great conditions, good soil moisture down below so looking great so far!!!! Go get after it fellas!!

Best planting conditions I remember in a while. Farmers way ahead. My plots be done by weeks end.

Commodity prices on the other hand.... yikes. $3 corn is going to make gigantic waves if it sticks around.

FWIW, the farmer that normally plants corn for me at my farm is only planting my food plot corn this year, none for himself. It just doesn't pay at those prices. Yikes is right.

FWIW, the farmer that normally plants corn for me at my farm is only planting my food plot corn this year, none for himself. It just doesn't pay at those prices. Yikes is right.
Gut feeling he'll regret that later when fed steps in with subsidy. Of course I could easily be wrong. Going to be interesting

Corn popping in early killed winter rye. No till. Can see tiny few lil spots left that got missed with spray somehow. Rather run corn into old brassicas but just how it worked out. Killed way earlier this year. Bit of a wet mess where I stopped for pics but looking close- looks like great stand doing well.
87ae8984808ccf0e411bebc513a7492a.jpg

3ec2d8b95e6563075839a44decf4132a.jpg

0dd15141ce0a4e4be9d8ecfeb4642452.jpg

Much Better! thats the money shot ;) yeah you could probably watch the corn grow now I hope to see mine in good shape next weekend. Anxious to see if any sprouts of the new switch are up yet

Top Bottom