Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Updated vid with more detail. U guys already have the details RIGHT HERE so probably not needed but here it is. Just quick vid from my phone that covers basics.

Updated vid with more detail. U guys already have the details RIGHT HERE so probably not needed but here it is. Just quick vid from my phone that covers basics.

Great vid. Will share with couple buddies that have no till planters.
Are there extra down pressure springs on the planter units? Or those just standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of landowners & farmers I know are very thankful they did no-till this year. I’m sitting in NW iowa right now looking at $10-12k/acre land. Those who did no till are looking much better. Those that tore up their soil & released most of their soil moisture are hurting badly. If we don’t get rain up here- everyone will be hurt but the folks who did major tillage may be looking at crop failures.
Why the stubborn habit of “I have to tear up my soil every year (even multiple times) “ exists- it’s perplexing.

if a guy really wanted to push it…. Still some time for planting beans. Could do corn yet for a plot & might have decent stand- hard to believe but it is possible - not advisable but possible.

do hope everyone’s is hanging in there though. The genetics of today have a lot of corn hanging on that would have been long cooked & dead 30 years ago. Be thankful for that. Home farm looks great. NW iowa- not so much.

Here’s my corn update. Between waste and shoulder in most of field
9e8d5282427d59bbbc648edea36ee9cc.jpg

Im thinking a couple of you may have ran into this, and may be able to help. I planted a couple acres of beans back in May. It didnt seem like there were a lot of deer in the area, so i didnt fence them. I was wrong. They are heavily browsed and i am considering my options. They are about 8 inches tall and not a lot of leaves on them. I would like to have some beans for late-season.
If in run down and fence now, will they have enough time to comeback and produce some beans? If so, how much?

Thanks

Im thinking a couple of you may have ran into this, and may be able to help. I planted a couple acres of beans back in May. It didnt seem like there were a lot of deer in the area, so i didnt fence them. I was wrong. They are heavily browsed and i am considering my options. They are about 8 inches tall and not a lot of leaves on them. I would like to have some beans for late-season.
If in run down and fence now, will they have enough time to comeback and produce some beans? If so, how much?

Thanks
I think they will bounce back. At least to grow back a good bit & put pods on. If they are still viable plants & thick- I’d do it. U might not have a ton of bushels but I’d do fence ASAP. Cheap & fast. If they keep looking bad or open space - interseed stuff like brassicas

& other areas do a rye mix which isn’t till late august.

Yeah, im going to fence later this week. Then come back with brassicas and rye later. Hope they produce some. Thanks for your reply

Lil update. Random spots I snapped some updates. Some planted late or early. All looking good. Some for plots- some for crop. Thank goodness we got rain after that rough June.
4FB7E052-38DB-4464-84C8-75BF70FAC141.jpeg
87A8C1B1-5B93-416B-AD72-146BF26B5A05.jpeg
A5B8E097-DA8B-4F2F-A7D3-8F806CF98343.jpeg
90585648-DFEB-4E4A-B73A-89DE502B8801.jpeg
050DE08F-171D-408E-8324-EC947030D972.jpeg
604D8A03-C11B-4BAC-A9FA-879022F5B168.jpeg

Deep Woods / Skip - What are your fertilizer programs for corn?
I go off soil report for most. I’m sulfur deficient & need ph adjustment with ag lime as well. I do a lot with manure that sure helps too with tons of the micros, etc
on actual N-P-K if I ballparked it with no cover crops…. Around 185-60-60 or so per acre. Conventional N is treated urea. I personally do not like what anhydrous does to soil ecology.

just checked my fence on plot. That worked!! guys with the fence idea - that sure works & thx for tips for the smaller areas!!

C1477921-4ADC-4656-AF07-5DDB4D37A688.jpeg

This in AG field of mine. I checked it today. Lot of deer & the beans don’t look hammered badly at all. (Can maybe see one hunting blind). Few spots on edge got nipped by deer a bit. I’m very happy about that + the big one……. This was on pretty “junky soil”. I spent some years building fertility, doing no-till, cover crops & some soil conservation type dirt work…. It’s turning out really nice. Stuff that looked like crap, 5-7 years later is really doing a nice job multiple years in a row now. This is the ground I put cattle manure on as well. Beans loaded with pods even though beans in area shorter than normal this year- still be very solid year for previous junk ground. Gonna keep making it better & fun to see the changes from garbage to great! :) …..

B834478B-491A-4FF0-99BB-A1CC14E5B1E2.jpeg
06A37DBC-0DDD-4536-9A2E-0E8242E188A8.jpeg
59511629-AAFD-42C5-A3E9-BD175E1226CA.jpeg

This in AG field of mine. I checked it today. Lot of deer & the beans don’t look hammered badly at all. (Can maybe see one hunting blind). Few spots on edge got nipped by deer a bit. I’m very happy about that + the big one……. This was on pretty “junky soil”. I spent some years building fertility, doing no-till, cover crops & some soil conservation type dirt work…. It’s turning out really nice. Stuff that looked like crap, 5-7 years later is really doing a nice job multiple years in a row now. This is the ground I put cattle manure on as well. Beans loaded with pods even though beans in area shorter than normal this year- still be very solid year for previous junk ground. Gonna keep making it better & fun to see the changes from garbage to great! :) …..
Why you call Junky? Soil type? Looks to lay pretty nice.

Why you call Junky? Soil type? Looks to lay pretty nice.
It had years of tillage. The top soil was very minimal. A lot of exposed clay with no top soil. The Stuff that was steep- I put in crp. I should have put this in too but I wanted to experiment. It was very neglected, mined (for nutrients), tired, full of wash outs… abused soil. That laid ok. Still work to be done but it’s a lot better. :)

Did some spot checking ag stuff. Mediocre ground. This is not premo results…. BUT- solid for the soil type. If this was for a plot- I’d be absolutely stoked. This is “good” for ag but not like the better soils. I’ll check those out later. Plots looking pretty darn good. This is what I’d call “good results on mediocre ground”. A lot better than some years we can think back to!!!
AC1AB339-20C7-48C0-9656-E7B3E8FEA1E1.jpeg
32FE5E76-1757-46A8-A827-A288ADE87EE7.jpeg
B0EA3664-06FD-40F3-8016-E1458B7A499A.jpeg
0C5ABE98-27E7-4ABF-B518-4D4301897C71.jpeg
C8242C42-D27B-4A7D-B05E-9980FCFC2BC6.jpeg

Last edited:
Pulled one of my e fences today. Mostly because i neglected keeping weeds at bay. Dang things grow good when ya put lot of fertilizer down
These beans blew up last 6 weeeks. Up to my chest. These ones are rwwp RR variety. Probably go e3 next year. But these have done well for me last few years. Didnt take pix of corn but it’s probably some of the best ive ever grown. Season starts in 17 days here. Wish I had a shooter on this farm. So far they dont seem to get here til mid October, or at least didnt last year
c5363f5e0b337f0037730a8702443ca8.jpg

Pulled one of my e fences today. Mostly because i neglected keeping weeds at bay. Dang things grow good when ya put lot of fertilizer down
These beans blew up last 6 weeeks. Up to my chest. These ones are rwwp RR variety. Probably go e3 next year. But these have done well for me last few years. Didnt take pix of corn but it’s probably some of the best ive ever grown. Season starts in 17 days here. Wish I had a shooter on this farm. So far they dont seem to get here til mid October, or at least didnt last year
c5363f5e0b337f0037730a8702443ca8.jpg

What all u like about Real world beans? Feeling or results vs other beans?

if you are rotating corn & beans - 2 big solutions…. 1) Overseeding clean corn into winter rye going into fall. 2) Next years is with some herbicides you can use to minimize or stop broadleaves (burn down with 2,4-d, etc). Then go heavy with pre-emergents. Spray when weeds are small with Gly + fomesafen + few more options like dual, warrant, prowl h20, etc. I have e3 beans but I also do have some gly beans. All above & my last spray will have what I listed: heavy Gly, ams, fomesafen & dual II (generics available to dual & all this stuff is easy to get for anyone). Really- no weeds. Unless there’s openings after that where they pop up weeks later. Gly with some extra tactics is doable if for some reason u found a bean to fall in love with.

Top Bottom