Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

What all u like about Real world beans? Feeling or results vs other beans?

if you are rotating corn & beans - 2 big solutions…. 1) Overseeding clean corn into winter rye going into fall. 2) Next years is with some herbicides you can use to minimize or stop broadleaves (burn down with 2,4-d, etc). Then go heavy with pre-emergents. Spray when weeds are small with Gly + fomesafen + few more options like dual, warrant, prowl h20, etc. I have e3 beans but I also do have some gly beans. All above & my last spray will have what I listed: heavy Gly, ams, fomesafen & dual II (generics available to dual & all this stuff is easy to get for anyone). Really- no weeds. Unless there’s openings after that where they pop up weeks later. Gly with some extra tactics is doable if for some reason u found a bean to fall in love with.

I just use them cause ive been a dealer for them for about 4-5 years. I did a sxs comparison the first year I planted them and the deer did seem to favor the rwwp beans. These are very clean, tho its a first year plot location on crp dirt so not any waterhemp yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the fence down today, this plot has never looked this good. After years of beating my head against the wall trying to get this plot to produce this was definitely the answer
IMG_20210904_195932.jpg

Quick update. Vid covers: no till corn on poor soil. Mixing corn & beans together. Cover crops, etc. Just a fun plot I’ve tried to make a lot better over the years and how this one ended….

Anybody have luck with eagle soy beans (forage bean ) Browse pressure is a concern . Probably wasting my time but I like taking a beating on Corn or Beans. Figures Coons wont hit as much with late planting like they seem to do with Corn on my place ? With forage can they keep up with browse pressure at heavy plant population . like 170K per acre.

Anybody have luck with eagle soy beans (forage bean ) Browse pressure is a concern . Probably wasting my time but I like taking a beating on Corn or Beans. Figures Coons wont hit as much with late planting like they seem to do with Corn on my place ? With forage can they keep up with browse pressure at heavy plant population . like 170K per acre.
I planted them 8-10 years ago. I'm not a huge fan of forage beans. I just think there are better options if browse pressure is a concern.

I am definitely NOT a bean expert...but I have enough marginal or failed plantings in my past to share a few things from my experience. :)

1. The only success I have ever had getting beans into the late season (Jan-Feb) is when I have fenced them off. I plan on fencing some off this year...but long story short...without the e-fence, they are gone LONG before I really want them to be. I would plant fewer acres, that are fenced, than I would plant more acres unfenced. Shoot...I have had trouble even getting beans going at all due to browse pressure.

2. I have struggled several times due to drought in the summer. Whatever your approach, if your area is drought prone, I would strongly recommend that you consider taking an approach that guards against the impact of drought.

I did the RR Eagle forage beans this last year, they grew well but certainly not shoulder high like their marketing pictures. Lots of pods and did stay green a bit longer than all the beans around me. I also fenced mine off till second week in October or so. I’ll probably just do regular RR beans from mfa on my next go around. Just me though

I planted 3 acres last week end of Beans , I did half in eagle and half in RW . I planted them at 280K seeds an acre , I split the rows with my JD 2 row planter NT . Wasn't ideal planting condition had trouble closing but I did go slower to help that . 1.5 inches of rain last night . I planted them about .5 inch deep in very moist ground .. See how it goes ..

I planted 3 acres last week end of Beans , I did half in eagle and half in RW . I planted them at 280K seeds an acre , I split the rows with my JD 2 row planter NT . Wasn't ideal planting condition had trouble closing but I did go slower to help that . 1.5 inches of rain last night . I planted them about .5 inch deep in very moist ground .. See how it goes ..
That's a REALLY high population. You figure alot getting wiped out by deer?

Better late than never!!! So far behind this year. Finished a fence this am. I have 2 plots that I have to fence. One good rain on beans & they popping. 180k seeds per acre drilled- bit higher since later in season.
I burnt down with Gly, ams, 2,4-d & zidua pro. Clean!!!! I left a good bit of beans outside fence to feed em & for fun to compare. Tons of clover & alfalfa there they can gobble all summer.
Field below- half cover crops were rye mix & closer pics were turnips & radish that are long gone.
41276704-CF8A-49DF-B61C-1D99FD1B718A.jpeg
89AFB29A-71B5-4B5F-B267-EC90E5FB494A.jpeg
2BB06A1D-2D47-4D6B-B985-1156783D12DF.jpeg

here’s update on my same late planted beans I posted above. No rain in about 45-60 days so I’m pretty happy. Good pods stacked all up the plants. This is results of: NO TILL, manure, cover crops, etc.

C3386622-24E7-4373-B080-010CCA44A21F.jpeg
F2CE808D-A16A-42B9-8A4B-9B72FD41DBC3.jpeg

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
No one is trying to grow 100 bushel beans for deer. But the methods or reasons why can still be applied…. A few good take aways on plant date, population, spacing, etc.

here’s update on my same late planted beans I posted above. No rain in about 45-60 days so I’m pretty happy. Good pods stacked all up the plants. This is results of: NO TILL, manure, cover crops, etc.

Thanks for the update, Skip. Always see great ideas and the "before" pics posted - but I want to see if IT WORKED. Those beans look great

What cover crops did you have prior to planting these beans in the spring?

No one is trying to grow 100 bushel beans for deer. But the methods or reasons why can still be applied…. A few good take aways on plant date, population, spacing, etc.
I've had customers for the last 3-4 years that are always planting super early...heck I've even seen snow on them after they germinate....they all claim to have very good yields with the early beans

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom