Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

$ Ruining Hunting? 2 different issues….

Disagree, it was not that way 30 years ago. Go back another 30 and Iowa barely had deer.

Human population, greed, and technology are ruining hunting. All equals money. Use of internet is the time everything changed quickly for the worse.
I agree with u there & I should have stated that it was like that in MICHIGAN 30 years ago. I do agree & know iowa was not near as locked up 30 years ago. MI & surrounding when I was a kid was a constant battle between hunters. Constant leasing. Constant going on out of state hunts / guided trips cause it was such a disaster. MI also had piles of deer 30 years ago where iowa did not. So - MI was far ahead of other areas 30 years ago. Agree & correction made.

Iowa also made a huge change when the dnr & politicians started the “Celebrity tags” 25-ish years ago to promote iowa to the masses. It worked!!!!!!!!!

One thing I have to admit…. In ‘90’s I was a city boy who somehow got into hunting with no one to teach me. I got EVERY magazine & watched every video I could. I loved it. It for sure, at the time, was a positive thing to me & helped spark my interest. I know it has its negatives but as a youngster it had some major positives for me.

Last edited:
Minnesota was the #1 Boone & Crockett state in the 80s. While pheasant hunting we would kick up monsters out of the draws, thickets, cattails, you name it … multiple per day . I was a little tyke and did not deer hunt until I was 16 or so. I pheasant hunted every day I could, or duck/goose. Extremely fun. Set the tone for my hunting addiction!

Glory days back then. But, they had 2 day gun season & a 4 day gun season for deer and you had to pick one !!! …no Muzzy except designated areas. Very few archery guys. Season ended Dec 10.

Basically no nice blinds, a few stands in trees. It was completely different. Bucks could get really big .

**Now Minnesota has 29 days of gun season (youth/shotgun/rifle/Muzzy) early doe. You name it. How often does a buck survive that for 3 years or more? Not many do.

Minnesota was the #1 Boone & Crockett state in the 80s. While pheasant hunting we would kick up monsters out of the draws, thickets, cattails, you name it … multiple per day . I was a little tyke and did not deer hunt until I was 16 or so. I pheasant hunted every day I could, or duck/goose. Extremely fun. Set the tone for my hunting addiction!

Glory days back then. But, they had 2 day gun season & a 4 day gun season for deer and you had to pick one !!! …no Muzzy except designated areas. Very few archery guys. Season ended Dec 10.

Basically no nice blinds, a few stands in trees. It was completely different. Bucks could get really big .

**Now Minnesota has 29 days of gun season (youth/shotgun/rifle/Muzzy) early doe. You name it. How often does a buck survive that for 3 years or more? Not many do.
OH MY GOSH!!!!! I had no idea it used to be that good!! & how fast it fell!!!!!!!!! Best state in country to what it is today in matter of decades. Wow, I had no idea the regs were like that back then & used to be so good!!!

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I had no idea it used to be that good!! & how fast it fell!!!!!!!!! Best state in country to what it is today in matter of decades. Wow, I had no idea the regs were like that back then & used to be so good!!!

A total FWIW, but we got married in 1986 and traveled through Minnesota going to Canada for our honeymoon and we saw LOADS of deer in Minny all the way to and from our destination. I now travel pretty close to the same route to and from Canada every fall and only see a small fraction of the deer that I remember seeing "back in the day".

A total FWIW, but we got married in 1986 and traveled through Minnesota going to Canada for our honeymoon and we saw LOADS of deer in Minny all the way to and from our destination. I now travel pretty close to the same route to and from Canada every fall and only see a small fraction of the deer that I remember seeing "back in the day".
My wife works in MN (we live 7 miles from there) and the folks she works with all can’t believe how lucky we are to live in Iowa as they hardly see deer anymore in MN. Jokes on them, we’re close enough it’s not drastically different from our place to where they are hunting

My wife works in MN (we live 7 miles from there) and the folks she works with all can’t believe how lucky we are to live in Iowa as they hardly see deer anymore in MN. Jokes on them, we’re close enough it’s not drastically different from our place to where they are hunting
That’s everyone’s view of iowa looking in. Even in the “good areas” …. People think there’s bombers all over. The amount of guys that leave with their heads hung low after hunting here is staggering. It’s for sure gotten harder in the good areas last few years. & then no one can comprehend how difficult hunting 70% of the state is where there’s hardly any cover & very few deer. I believe u because I’ve been all over up there & I know you’re right. Folks view & perspective comes from what’s in their neighborhood OR what they see on YouTube hunts.

Think about how many dandy bucks you see just out of bow range on November 7-16 in Iowa. Then picture yourself with a Savage Slug gun… or a rifle instead of a bow. How many of those bucks would be dead ?

That is Minnesota. A 9 day gun season during the rut. That’s it. Needs to change and our state would a legit trophy state again .

Deer numbers are not bad in my area. They allow 7 does to be harvested in my zone . I see 20-30 deer some days. Just not that many 4-7 yr old bucks. A few on occasion!

"Shooter Buck" is a term that has played a huge factor in the decline of mature deer everywhere. I have VHS & DVDs from a TV series that used that exact term religiously. You know who I'm talking about. I can remember when most guys were happy just to get a deer...back in the days of having to send in for a tag, smooth bore barrel only, buck-only 1st season, and before insurance companies/land owners worried about getting sued for accidents. The internet has changed so many things...I have a love/hate relationship with the internet. And because of the web, many hobbies have been ruined with pay to play.

Think about how many dandy bucks you see just out of bow range on November 7-16 in Iowa. Then picture yourself with a Savage Slug gun… or a rifle instead of a bow. How many of those bucks would be dead ?

That is Minnesota. A 9 day gun season during the rut. That’s it. Needs to change and our state would a legit trophy state again .

Deer numbers are not bad in my area. They allow 7 does to be harvested in my zone . I see 20-30 deer some days. Just not that many 4-7 yr old bucks. A few on occasion!
This is no joke- not to be stupid, but does Minnesota have a group like IBA to attempt to push that? I full heartedly believe MN would be better than Iowa if that changed, and maybe get rid of those wolves up north (heard they are terrible- no first hand experience)

As a young guy, Its been this way as long as I can remember. The Big Buck craze. Long gone are the days of being able to hunt whole river bottoms, because you had permission.(My grandpa talks about those days, and Buck only tags)

Before 2 years ago, I didn't own any hunting land everything I hunted was permission only.( I had some great permission farms) But as landowners pass away, or the place gets leased up. A lot of those farms I no longer have access to.
Luckily for me I was presented an opportunity to buy part of my best permission farm. And was very fortunate to be presented this opportunity.

Farming and Deer hunting have gone in the same way. You have to own it, to control it.
(so yes hunting has become a rich man's game, and everyone else will be hunting public land, it's just the way it is)
Not saying it's right, but it's the society we live in.

This is no joke- not to be stupid, but does Minnesota have a group like IBA to attempt to push that? I full heartedly believe MN would be better than Iowa if that changed, and maybe get rid of those wolves up north (heard they are terrible- no first hand experience)
Our big deer group is the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. They are mostly northern MN guys that support a gun season during the rut .

It’s a tough haul.

I’ve written letters, been to meetings, emailed (Barbara) the big game coordinator many times .

At this point it’s about 50/50 support to move the season back. But unfortunately it would only be one week. It would help some.

**Wolves are bad in northern MN yes! Zone 1 up by Duluth & Grand Rapids is a lost cause for deer .

Agree we could be right up there with Iowa . I hunt in an area that has the best deer cover I’ve ever seen (Otter Tail County) .

Last edited:
IBA is the only/main reason we’ve been able to “hold the line” in iowa. Other states don’t have equivalent or it’s a weak ineffective version if so. THIS is why almost every other state has fundamentally been ruined. Or the vast majority degraded.

& I really have to remind folks here in iowa…. U think it’s bad here!?!!?!!? Access, pay to play, difficult hunting (and I agree it exists and it’s getting tougher each year!!!!!!) ….. I promise u all- it’s so much worse in these other states - literally every state that touches us included!!! (IL, MO, WI, MN, NE & SD). Across the board, everything u express frustrations with are multiplied exponentially!!!!!

Our big deer group is the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. They are mostly northern MN guys that support a gun season during the rut .

It’s a tough haul.

I’ve written letters, been to meetings, emailed (Barbara) the big game coordinator many times .

At this point it’s about 50/50 support to move the season back. But unfortunately it would only be one week. It would help some.

**Wolves are bad in northern MN yes! Zone 1 up by Duluth & Grand Rapids is a lost cause for deer .

Agree we could be right up there with Iowa . I hunt in an area that has the best deer cover I’ve ever seen (Otter Tail County) .
Thank you for the information- I so truly appreciate knowing that.

Both 1 & 2 are accurate statements. $ has changed hunting dramatically over the past 30 years. If this trend continues, in the next 30, hunting will be available for only the elites.
You do not have to wait. It is that way in Illinois right now. You ether lease, or buy ground there, pay the taxes on it , plus try keeping the trespassers and the DNR sharpshooters off your land. It is a never ending battle. This is about the only way you get some good hunting.

Top Bottom