Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Running field tile for better drainage, less erosion, production, etc.

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s vid of tile job. It’s not that expensive, in relative terms & also based on how much increases production, rent, land value, etc.

I had some wet spots that drained poorly & some areas washing. This will fix all that. A food plotter could do this with a skid steer & trencher or a mini excavator.
It’s a game changer on so many levels. & for folks who have Ag ground..... amazing to do with these higher commodity prices. I’ve used same guy for my tile for several jobs now, does a really nice job! I can get info if needed.

That's a great addition to the farm. I could benefit from some tile on a couple places. If you don't mind me asking, Did you cost share it thru the government or do you find it easier to just do it and pay for it on your own? I have had a few tile jobs bid out, c and my tenants just want me to do it without government assistance, my out of pocket costs are roughly the same. What's your thoughts on it?

That's a great addition to the farm. I could benefit from some tile on a couple places. If you don't mind me asking, Did you cost share it thru the government or do you find it easier to just do it and pay for it on your own? I have had a few tile jobs bid out, c and my tenants just want me to do it without government assistance, my out of pocket costs are roughly the same. What's your thoughts on it?
I didn't get cost share through government.
What's details on cost share you have seen? Our office is overloaded & they usually have to look things up.... Last I checked they had terrace cost share. I guess I didn't look into tiling though. Probably need to ;)
What's the program and how does the cost share work on tiling?

The most extensive I've ever done was pattern tile whole fields with about 30' centers. I believe that level was about $1,000/acre. Which is a lot of $. BUT..... What it does for yields, farm value, rent & even ability to add more tillable acres- in those cases it was a NO BRAINER.

Any basic details on cost share would be awesome. I can at least discuss next time I'm in USDA/FSA/NRCS center & inquire on it.

I should have said I had tile and terrace bids from private contractors, as well as estimated costs from the NRCS for the same work Out of pocket $ for me on the last bid (last year) would have cost me about $1200 more using private contractors than the the Gov. cost share at 75%. The NRCS has the terraces built in a way that are so expensive, according to the tenant, and you have to maintain them to NRCS standards for 10 years, which the tenant mentioned as a concern.. I don't know if the NRCS cost share just tile work, mine was tile and terrace work.

I should have said I had tile and terrace bids from private contractors, as well as estimated costs from the NRCS for the same work Out of pocket $ for me on the last bid (last year) would have cost me about $1200 more using private contractors than the the Gov. cost share at 75%. The NRCS has the terraces built in a way that are so expensive, according to the tenant, and you have to maintain them to NRCS standards for 10 years, which the tenant mentioned as a concern.. I don't know if the NRCS cost share just tile work, mine was tile and terrace work.
That’s an obvious choice right there!!! No government hoops for $1200!!!! Yepper!!

The one downside I’ve loosely heard with Gov terraces - often times they aren’t how “u think is best” or “don’t make the best sense”. There’s some old terraces on my place I think may have been gov funded. They are not lined up right & not on correct part of field. I will need to address them at some point - likely redoing them or even taking a couple out.

I’d vote for quality private work with no gov involvement based on above figures!!!

Top Bottom