Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye and lawn grass??

Daver

PMA Member
Both of my sons have purchased new houses somewhat recently and due to associated remodeling or new construction activities on each property, they will have large areas of their yards in bare dirt. I happened to think that I might use my tractor and tiller and plant a mix of rye grain and grass seed here in about 5 or 6 weeks. My thinking is that the rye will certainly grow up right away and provide some winter cover for the soil and the grass seed will then take off next spring and lead to a nice lawn.

We can just mow the rye next April to kill it and let the grass come on...similar to what we do with fall planted food plots, only subbing in regular grass seed for the usual clover. Am I missing something here? This seems like it would work well

Both of my sons have purchased new houses somewhat recently and due to associated remodeling or new construction activities on each property, they will have large areas of their yards in bare dirt. I happened to think that I might use my tractor and tiller and plant a mix of rye grain and grass seed here in about 5 or 6 weeks. My thinking is that the rye will certainly grow up right away and provide some winter cover for the soil and the grass seed will then take off next spring and lead to a nice lawn.

We can just mow the rye next April to kill it and let the grass come on...similar to what we do with fall planted food plots, only subbing in regular grass seed for the usual clover. Am I missing something here? This seems like it would work well
Done it. Works fine. I would only say don't plant the rye too thick.

That's basically what the quick and thick grass seed is. I did it with my yard when I seeded it. It works well.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Fall planted grass does way better than spring seeded. I would just plant a good Kentucky blue perennial rye mix late August and not worry about a cover crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom