Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safety

Shovelbuck

With the fall archery seasons either started or fast approaching, it's time to touch base on some safety.
I'll list a couple that come to mind and please add more as you see fit.:way:

We should do this all the time but I'm as guilty as the next guy for failing to do it very often. Always check your arrows for cracks or dings. This applies to both carbon and woodies.
smj586563fig1.jpg

Be careful when getting your broadheads ready. A couple seasons ago, I stabbed a broadhead into my index finger on my string hand, pretty much stopping my season for several weeks.
In our chosen sport, we use a lot of very sharp tools. Be careful and carry a first aid kit.

Good advice Shovel. Also don't forget to never climb a tree without a harness, that goes for ascending and decending as well as while in the tree. Might be a pain but its better than the alternative if something goes wrong. :way:

For those of you coming out west to hunt, be sure to keep some kind of tinder in your packs (dryer lint w/vaseline, fuel tabs, steel wool, etc.) along with water proof matches (safety blanket is a good idea, too). As most of you know, when you get to elevation, the weather can change dramatically and quickly and you may have to spike out overnite unexpectedly or warm up during the day. Also, this is still fire season in several areas of the West so play it safe out there and don't listen to the hunting magazines that have "how to survive a wildfire" articles. If the conditions are primed, be alert. If you see smoke, get out as fast as possible. Besides, if you give a burn a year, it will turn VERY productive for both elk and deer.

Good advice Shovel. Also don't forget to never climb a tree without a harness, that goes for ascending and decending as well as while in the tree. Might be a pain but its better than the alternative if something goes wrong. :way:

X a million!

Plus most harnesses are free. And if someone or a youth needs one, I think I have 25+ sitting in a rubbermaid in the garage that are still in the bag.

Top Bottom