Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SC Iowa Residential Realtor

IsThisHeaven?

I am looking to buy a small house in Lucas, Monroe, or Appanoose County. Can anyone refer to me to a realtor in the area? I am married with 2 kids and 2 dogs. I grew up in a small town and am looking to get back to that and give my kids that experience. We live a quiet lifestyle and keep to ourselves. Feel free to PM if that's better. Thanks for any help.

Matt

We just bought some land that Dan Kent had listed with Kent Farm Management and Real Estate. He was very responsive and is based in the Lucas / Chariton area. He does residential real estate in the area and was great to work with.

Personal opionion... you're better off on your own and dealing directly with listing agents. Everything is online and if you do your homework you'll know more than 99% of realtors who are dealing with multiple properties and many clients.

If you're buying, why wouldn't you have an agent represent you? You're not paying for it. Unless you think the selling agent might work more on your favor because he's not sharing a commission...?

Selling is different, definitely no argument there!

If you're buying, why wouldn't you have an agent represent you? You're not paying for it. Unless you think the selling agent might work more on your favor because he's not sharing a commission...?

Selling is different, definitely no argument there!
Whats the point? Just bogs down the process. They don't know anymore than you if you've done your homework. Zero value in my book. And yes, consciously or unconsciously i think sellers agents will push harder if they are not splitting commission. My 2c

I would always work with a separate agent, very difficult for a sellers agent to have the best interest of both parties. Not saying they wouldn’t try but I would rather work with an agent that has just my best interest in mind and not have to worry about keeping the other client happy as well. On the other side, just using the listing agent can be beneficial because sometimes the seller can negotiate more as the commission can be less if only one agent is getting all of it.

I would always work with a separate agent, very difficult for a sellers agent to have the best interest of both parties. Not saying they wouldn’t try but I would rather work with an agent that has just my best interest in mind and not have to worry about keeping the other client happy as well. On the other side, just using the listing agent can be beneficial because sometimes the seller can negotiate more as the commission can be less if only one agent is getting all of it.
Curious why you feel the need for a realtor to represent your interests in lieu of yourself.

Curious why you feel the need for a realtor to represent your interests in lieu of yourself.
Either way you look at it your having a realtor represent you, one way the realtor is just working for you the other way they’re working for both parties. You can’t represent your self unless your a licensed agent, unless the laws are different in Iowa than where I live.

Either way you look at it your having a realtor represent you, one way the realtor is just working for you the other way they’re working for both parties. You can’t represent your self unless your a licensed agent, unless the laws are different in Iowa than where I live.
Must be different. You 100% do not need realtor representation in Iowa.

Must be different. You 100% do not need realtor representation in Iowa.
But if you contact the listing agent and they do all the paperwork and leg work for both sides than technically they are your realtor, if you contact the listing agent and you do all the leg work on your end and they receive all the commission than your just working for free for them. I look at it this way, If I was buying a car I would trust a mechanic that I hired before I’d trust the mechanic at the dealer. Most people don’t know or care to know that much about real estate to do it themselves, especially if your a buyer and it costs you nothing to get a agent, as a buyer I could understand not wanting to pay the commission.

And just for the record I’m not a realtor so it doesn’t really matter to me, those are just my opinions

But if you contact the listing agent and they do all the paperwork and leg work for both sides than technically they are your realtor, if you contact the listing agent and you do all the leg work on your end and they receive all the commission than your just working for free for them. I look at it this way, If I was buying a car I would trust a mechanic that I hired before I’d trust the mechanic at the dealer. Most people don’t know or care to know that much about real estate to do it themselves, especially if your a buyer and it costs you nothing to get a agent, as a buyer I could understand not wanting to pay the commission.
.... on the residential side they are only your realtor if you sign a dual agency disclosure. You don’t have to do that. On the selling side (residential) you can work with buyers agents and they will have you sign a self-representation form (Iowa). Again, it’s not for everyone. 100% get that. Personally, realtors just get in my way, don’t know as much, don’t move at my speed, etc. I don’t need one representing my interests in any capacity.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the thoughts.

The idea of not working with a realtor at all is interesting and something I considered for a few days after it was initially posted and I researched it some. Ultimately I have decided to go with an agent for a couple reasons.

The first reason is I am not local to the area. I grew up in a small town, but not in the areas I am considering. I would like a local perspective on towns or areas that may be a better fit. A concern I have is a small town not being welcoming of outsiders. I grew up in a small town and around quite a few other small towns. Some were not great for people moving in from outside the area. I am hoping to avoid that.

Another reason is the paperwork. I can and have handled the loan. I am just not comfortable with the paperwork on the sale itself on my own.

Everything is online so I can find the place on my own. I have purchased three houses prior to this one, so I have made plenty of mistakes and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what I want.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas.

Matt

Here’s why you need represented. I’ve purchased several pieces of property. On my second I called the sellers agent and made my offer. The agent never advised the seller. I sensed it, retained my own realtor who formally resent my offer. By law the offer must be proposed and the agent repping you makes sure that happens. I agree that the selling agent will not rep both parties equally. Get your own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom