Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scheels Spotting Scope???`

rutnstrut

PMA Member
Anyone have any experince with the Scheels Icon Hunter 18-54X80mm or any other decent low cost spotting scope? I was looking for something in the $200 range but Ive got a couple gift cards for scheels so $300 isnt bad either. Ive looked at the Burris Landmark 20-60X80mm, and the Redfield Rampage 20-60X60mm and the Vortex Impact 20-75X70mm, and even thought about the next step up in the vortex line I cant remember the name but its around $300, but when I say looked at I mean online pics and reviews and without being able to try them in low light I have no idea what would be better.

I have done some spotting scope shopping and the only advice I can give is to take one and try it, and be well aware of the return policy on optics. Take it, try it, and return it if you need to.

See if they will go outside about dusk to see how the one's you have intrest in workout. Ask or look for Brad in the hunting area. He is a good guy and have known him for around 25 years, his family owned a hunting / outdoors store in Des Moines for years. I think he is there till 4pm during the week but don't know his hours on the weekend

Last edited:
Agree with others that the best advice is to look through several. I was looking for spotters in the same price range last year and ended up with the vortex nomad. I used it out west some last year and while it performed well, it's not the same as the top end glass. But, it performs for what I need.

I went with the 20x60 zoom with a 60mm lens as I was packing it around quite a bit. If weight is not an issue, look at the 80mm lens as there will be more light.

If you go the vortex route, check out the prices from Boyd at Buck Hollow. Make sure you get a good tripod or window mount to.

I have to agree with everyone else (try several in low-light conditions), except that I've used a couple of the ones you mention. I had a Burris Landmark 20-60x80 and it was great, but I sold it because I didn't want to end up packing it multiple miles. It had great low-light transmission, it was just too heavy for me. The Vortex is also very good glass, especially for the money. I know several people out here that use them and swear up and down by them. You might also take a look at the Nikon Prostaff 15-45x60. It has some of the best reviews out there, and only another $100 more.

Joe,

I'd contact Fred. His roomate just bought a 300 dollar model from scheels and he compared it to his NIKON ED at dusk and he said they both were the same. He was schocked!!

Scheels has come a long ways in so many different ways, I would have no problems buying their optics, period.

Top Bottom