Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scope for slug gun?

Cclb

I've narrowed down the search for my slug gun scope to the Vortex Diamondback, Leupold Ultimate Slam, and Zeiss Terra X3. Obviously the Vortex is most affordable and the Zeiss is most expensive. Anyone have experience with any of these or suggest another model? Most shots in that 75-125 range but will have some 200-215 mixed in too. I don't care for BDC reticles, so basic duplex is fine for me.

I would never overlook vortex for any glass but i run a bushnell trophy 1.5×4 on my slug gun and its been put through the ringer to say the least and its been an amazing scope.
Its been on the gun since before i knew of vortex.
If i bought a new slug gun tomorrow id throw a vortex on it and never think twice!

I've narrowed down the search for my slug gun scope to the Vortex Diamondback, Leupold Ultimate Slam, and Zeiss Terra X3. Obviously the Vortex is most affordable and the Zeiss is most expensive. Anyone have experience with any of these or suggest another model? Most shots in that 75-125 range but will have some 200-215 mixed in too. I don't care for BDC reticles, so basic duplex is fine for me.

Curious what slug gun and slugs you are using that performs well at 215 yards?

The terra line from Zeiss is manufactured in Asia, not by the Zeiss company. Keep that in mind. Good glass but probably not the same craftsmanship. Vortex, hard to beat.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
The terra line from Zeiss is manufactured in Asia, not by the Zeiss company. Keep that in mind. Good glass but probably not the same craftsmanship. Vortex, hard to beat.

True, but at these price points, all will be built in Asian countries. I've just read many positive reviews on it. Maybe I'll make a trip to cabelas or scheels and have a look see.

I went against recommendations for eye relief (which has been ZERO issue) & some feedback on shock from shotgun (which I disagree on, a good rifle scope can handle major shock)..... I went with a Vari-X-III rifle scope, obviously the higher end of Leupold. 3.5x10-40mm. It's done amazing. It's mounted on a Benelli Super Black Eagle camo gun with rifled barrel, drilled & tapped I love the mount I got for it - one piece. I can "easily" do 200 yards. Everyone throws out bull crap claims but reality is, with GOLD PARTITION 2&3/4" slugs, I can do about 8" groups at 200 yards. 225 would be my absolute limit. I still have my TC Muzzleloader with Vari-X III 3.5x10x50 but I think I prefer shotgun because of the pain in the butt issues with ML's - cleaning, one shot, misfires (I haven't had one in years) even though they do shoot a little further and more accurate. I guess place for both of them & I still will use both.

If I didn't have the Leupolds, I'd look into the higher end Vortex. If I wanted to go crazy (which I will with a bow or binos but not gun stuff which i don't do as much) - i'd go with swarovski high end. Love my Swarovision 10x42's.

Last edited:
I have the Ultra Slam on my ML and really like it. I have it zeroed at 100 yards and the dots are pretty much dead on from there, or at least 200 because that's as far as I've tried it on a target. I have a red dot on my shotgun but haven't used it for several years. I had it zeroed at 80 yards because that about the shooting limits at the place we use to hunt, but have shot a few deer out to 140 with it.

For me it's Leupold all the way for glass on a gun. Except for a Cabelas brand on a .22 rimfire (which I don't much care for) They are on all my scoped guns including two 12 gauge slug guns, a 10 gauge turkey gun & more centerfires than I want my wife to know about. Great glass at a fair price and they stand behind them, not that I've ever had a problem with one of there scopes. Agree with Sligh that you can use any good rifle glass on a shotgun, so don't feel limited to a "shotgun scope".

I outfitted all my guns with leupold VX-iis. Love those scopes. I almost bought the ultimate slam but the reality of it is I dont need it up to 175 yards. If I want to shoot 200 I just need to aim a tad higher on its back or an inch above it. Most shots for me with my savage 220 is 150 or less.

I have 2 Browning Gold slug guns (one 12 ga and one 20 ga) set up with Aimpoint 9000sc 2x (magnified scopes) and love them! Shooting tight groups out to 150 yards with Federal P152xs 2 3/4" Barnes Expander slugs. Don't count out a quality red dot scope in your search.

Check out the cabelas powder horn. It's made for a muzzy but the eye relief is excellent and it's a great scope. I've had one on my 1187 for 5 years and never had a problem with it. It's also a lot cheaper than the brands you mentioned. If you are near a cabelas go and try it out next to the super slam and see what ya think. I went in there knowing I was going to put a super slam on my gun until I compared the two side by side. Maybe it's just my personal preference but it's worth a look. Can't say anything about the zeiss seems like a lot if money for a scope but I've never looked through one and vortex does make good optics and has great costumer service. Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom