Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scopes

G

GunnerJon

Anyone out there use a scope or red-dot on their turkey guns? I posted a question about my red-dot a while ago and got no responses......wondering if anyone uses them or any other sighting apature other than open sights. Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Conventional 1.5 x 5 scope for about 5 years, usually kept on lower end of pattern. Turkey hunting is basically like rifle hunting, need to put a heavy load of shot in the head/neck and a scope helps make sure you keep your head down and the shot where it needs to be. And if you have a wary old Tom that won't come in all the way, the scope provides the accuracy for an instant kill out to 40 yards. Sights can do the same, but as you age it gets a little harder to keep all of the different planes in focus. :>( At least should have sights, not just rely upon a rib.

A friend has a red-dot that he got for slug hunting, intends to use it this spring for turkey as well.

Either would be a disadvantage on a moving bird, but shouldn't be doing that with a turkey anyway, too much risk of a crippling shot that doesn't lead to recovery. Scope helps make the first shot count.

My buddy used a scope once...once! He concluded that the extreme hunting and rough terrain was too tough on his scope/gun combo and missed a bird because the hunting we were doing (a few stumbles, steep climbs,etc.) knocked his scope off. I know there are alot of pros about red dot scopes but also some cons, such as dead batteries, knocked off sight, and tough moving shots. I don't use a scope, but I can say I was with my buddy when we patterned our guns 2 days before the hunt and they were right on--after missing his bird, he patterned it and he was a foot high and a foot to the right at 30 yards! So take it for what its worth. That's my two cents--good luck.

Top Bottom