Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scout Guard SG550

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I am looking to get a new trail cam this year... been using a homebrew camera for several years with good results, but would like to try taking some short video clips with infrared.

It is exhausting trying to weed through all the information on chasinggame.com. I am wanting to spend around $150 each on them... seems the SG 550 was highly praised on here before.... how many of you guys are still running these cams and would recommend them for video clips and night time images?

Would certainly spend more money if there is something out there that is much better... don't want to waste money on high megapixels though... don't need more than 5mp in my opinion....

I've had a Scoutguard for 2 years and love it. Quality videos/pics and battery life is remarkable.

The end of last year I picked up a Bushnell, and the software appears to be very similar. The only reason I went with the Bushnell is because of the brand, the 1 year warranty, and I was able to find it cheaper online.

So far, I I like the Bushnell better. It just appears to be built a little better. I'm also a fan of the compatible mounting arm (which I bought separately), so I can put it high in a tree where it won't get noticed or stolen.

Check out the Primos Truth Cam 35. Great video and pic quality for 3 megapixels and if you pay more than $80 for one you aren't looking too hard. I have one and love it. One of the best values out there. They also have a new model coming out this year called the "Supermodel" that looks pretty nice but it retails around $230 so it is quite a bit higher in price.

I like the scoutguards and DLC coverts.... they skimped on the "on-off" switch though and it breaks easily..other than that, I like them

What kind of board and camera do you have in the homebrew? I have 10 homebrew cams, and all of mine can take at least 30 sec videos. You can convert most digital cameras to infrared, but i don't believe infrared is the best for video clips.

What kind of board and camera do you have in the homebrew? I have 10 homebrew cams, and all of mine can take at least 30 sec videos. You can convert most digital cameras to infrared, but i don't believe infrared is the best for video clips.

I really am ignorant on this kind of stuff... it is a homebrew made by Vman several years back.... I believe I can set it up to do daytime video clips... I have seen some night time clips from the SG 550 and they looked pretty good....

Top Bottom