Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scrape question?

Bowman D

Hunted over a fresh scrape today with a friend about 100 yds away..long story short we get down to look for his deer when my target buck almost runs right up to us and realizes it at thirty yards away...given the fact that their was blood from the kill and us knuckleheads standing there.....will he come back and check that scrape anytime soon...what's your opinions?

Anyone's guess, but I'd say he'll be back...sometime. May avoid the area for a bit if he was spooked hard, but if that's his home range and there are does, food, water, I would think he'll be back.

Buddy shot a doe last year over my hay field and we gutted her right inside the tree line. Came back a couple days later and there were scrapes all around where we gutted her.

I shot a doe last fall and 30 minutes later a buck came through cruising with his nose to the ground. When he came to her blood trail he immediately became spooked and took off running with his tail in the air.

Sometimes the toughest lessons are the best. The blood didn't matter, the people standing did.

A few quick tips

On Nov 4, one of the best dates to hunt, do not hunt so close to someone. Deer are not on a pattern anymore thus two guys this close is a waste IMO.

If it was a lone doe somebody made a major error. If it was a group of does you potentially educated all of them.

Don't get down until dark. If the weather was too hot for that then you just gotta pass this time of year.

If it was a buck then you just got dealt a real unlucky hand because I'm assuming it was a shooter.

Keep your bow with you!!!

Top Bottom