Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Season Opener 4/16/01

I

iowalongbeard

Today is Opening Day for First Season, how goes the hunting?

1tom.jpg

Iowa Spring Gobbler, photo: THough

Had a tom come out I gave him a soft yelp he look over at me and continued feeding. Gave him another yelp he looked over and did the same thing. Spoke to my brother they had similar experiences

Well , fighting a whiteout blizzard wasn't my idea of fun today. I heard 2 gobbles over 40mph winds, and ended up spooking the bird I was after. I should know better than to make it to just 1 more tree before setting up. Hopefully the wind will die down tomorrow. Good luck all!!!
Bruce Wohlers

First season can be like this....second can be too. Every year is different but this one reminds me of a few years ago. The wind was blowing the snow was spitting and know one was in the woods except one hardcore hunter from our area. He said the wind helped him with his noisy movement and the weather helped him be more aggressive knowing no other hunters were after the big Tom he saw on a ridge top.

The bird weighed 25 lbs and had 1 1/2 " spurs. So I guess we would all like a perfect day for a hunt but sometimes the weather in Iowa is just crap and windy days are the worse. We hope you have good luck today and in the future.

Long Beard

What a difference a day makes, birds gobbling up a storm birds decoying and I just can't shoot straight. Tuesday hunting was very exciting. Missed my opportunity to bag bird twice. Went out again this morning and got schooled by a big tom. Just gotta to love this turkey hunting

On Tuesday I tried a different approach, that is I slept in and went to the woods at 1:00pm. By 1:30 I was back to the truck with a 24 lb., 10" beard, 1 1/4 " spur gobbler. When they get away from the hens it's a whole different ball game. Good hunting!!
Bruce Wohlers

Hey thats what we like to here IABruce! Smart hunting guy, one of my biggest Toms was taken at 2:00 PM a few years ago, same approach.

Congrats, send a pic if you like!

TLH

Top Bottom