Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seasonal creek dam/water supply

sirrloin

Inquired yesterday with the Warren Water District about getting water run to the property to keep all the new saplings and plots watered this year. For the low cost of 3000 dollars i can get a water meter installed 30ft from the road. So I started looking at other options.

I've talked with the DNR and county engineers and they both didnt know of any laws against daming up our seasonal stream/drainage that runs the length of our property. I figure i could just create a small resevoir of water and pump it out if need be in the summer months. Its about 15-20 ft across at the widest. Dries up in summer but gets fairly good flow after a a few days of rain

Anyone have experience building one? We have tons of river rock around but not sure if there would be better methods.
8a629add3e06b80ff7ee2037bca1c82c.jpg
50bd76697b49cd8f04e958c0f9933465.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve never done that, but it certainly could work. How many trees are you planting?
We have 100 saplings coming from the state nursery in April. Chinkapin, Bur, shagbark hickory and black cherry. The land already has tons of black walnuts we'll be movin around to thin as well. We'll also be planting some American Bittersweet on the fence and fruit trees around the clover plots. Cows had used it the last few years for grazing so trying to get it filled in.
9da6e50c6b77ad30bb2cceb078d6ea42.jpg

We have 100 saplings coming from the state nursery in April. Chinkapin, Bur, shagbark hickory and black cherry. The land already has tons of black walnuts we'll be movin around to thin as well. We'll also be planting some American Bittersweet on the fence and fruit trees around the clover plots. Cows had used it the last few years for grazing so trying to get it filled in.
9da6e50c6b77ad30bb2cceb078d6ea42.jpg

Some of planting trees is just letting weather happen! However, 100 trees to water is manageable.

I’ve planted thousand of trees in my life and we only water Apple trees. Survival is around 65-75%.

I like plugs for better survival.

If it is dry at times you could push up an earthen dam a couple feet high and then cover it with concrete rip rap. My concern would be how fast it silts full if you get run off from crop ground. I have seen creeks the beaver dam up silt full in less than a year with a lot of run off from crop ground.

Top Bottom