Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sedge in clover

SB3

I've been using Clethodim for years to control the grass in my clover and alfalfa. This year in one of my bottom clover plot I have sedge grass coming on strong and the cleth did not kill it. Any suggestions? Hotter dose or something else? Thanks

Pretty sure Sedgehammer (google a few varieties or combination herbicides & read labels) will do it in. Clethodim & crop oil only kill TRUE GRASSES. Sedges are different. Hence, using Sedgehammer herbicide.
Next: stay on mowing as well - herbicide is what you want to - to fry it - but, mow to insure more doesn't go to seed as another minor tool.
Last, if no success.... Glyphosate. Heck, even at a qt/acre, gly doesn't kill my clover. geesh, I think I've tried 3 qts and doesn't kill it ;). NOT suggesting that!!!!!! But, if a guy wanted to throw .5 qts of gly on well established clover, be ok most likely. Or - spot spray the sedge with heavier gly. When I had more time, every time I went to my clover plots & sprayed - I'd scatter a little more clover here and there. Did it help? Sure, sometimes. unless drought and hot. Did it hurt? NOPE, just a few bucks to spread a lil here and there.

In my experience Clethodim won't touch it! There is a product called "SedgeHammer" that is supposedly pretty good but it's pricey and I think more for lawn use. I spot spray with a hefty dose of glyphosate and reseed clover in the bare spots.

I've been mowing but this stuff gets thick and has taken over, I'm hours away from the farm and dont get to address it like I should. I'll look at the sedgehammer and possibly spot spraying with gly, those option are probably my best The Cleth does a great job on the other grasses but you are correct, didnt even phase the sedge.... Thank you!

Pretty sure Sedgehammer (google a few varieties or combination herbicides & read labels) will do it in. Clethodim & crop oil only kill TRUE GRASSES. Sedges are different. Hence, using Sedgehammer herbicide.
Next: stay on mowing as well - herbicide is what you want to - to fry it - but, mow to insure more doesn't go to seed as another minor tool.
Last, if no success.... Glyphosate. Heck, even at a qt/acre, gly doesn't kill my clover. geesh, I think I've tried 3 qts and doesn't kill it ;). NOT suggesting that!!!!!! But, if a guy wanted to throw .5 qts of gly on well established clover, be ok most likely. Or - spot spray the sedge with heavier gly. When I had more time, every time I went to my clover plots & sprayed - I'd scatter a little more clover here and there. Did it help? Sure, sometimes. unless drought and hot. Did it hurt? NOPE, just a few bucks to spread a lil here and there.

1qt of gly is safe on well established clover? Weeds are coming in hot but have a great stand of clover underneath....or is .5 qt safer and still effective??

Top Bottom