Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Serecea lespedeza

Daver

PMA Member
Here's a scenario for the astute IW habitat dudes...

Suppose a neighbor has a LOT of serecea lespedeza in one of their fields. The land borders mine, BUT, the field with the serecea does not. It is probably 1/2 mile away.

I am not interested in this spreading to my place though and I am sure it will given time. I have only learned of this recently and have not contacted the "host" landowner yet. They live out of state and are not often seen by any of the rest of us. I personally have never had any trouble with them, but other mutual neighbors have expressed that they seemed not to be very friendly, etc, to them. I believe there has been at least one "border dispute" between them and another neighbor. (Hunting too close to the property line, etc.) But all of this 2nd hand, my interactions, although not many, have been OK.

Judging by the vast amount of serecea present, it seems as though they have to know that it is there??? But there is no apparent effort to limit it from spreading.

So...do I contact them and say "Hey...", to which they may ask how I even know about this. (It can't be seen directly from my property.) Looking for ideas or advice. For all I know they may like it and consider it quail food.

Suppose a neighbor has a LOT of serecea lespedeza in one of their fields. The land borders mine, BUT, the field with the serecea does not. It is probably 1/2 mile away.

I am not interested in this spreading to my place though and I am sure it will given time. I have only learned of this recently and have not contacted the "host" landowner yet. They live out of state and are not often seen by any of the rest of us. I personally have never had any trouble with them, but other mutual neighbors have expressed that they seemed not to be very friendly, etc, to them. I believe there has been at least one "border dispute" between them and another neighbor. (Hunting too close to the property line, etc.) But all of this 2nd hand, my interactions, although not many, have been OK.

Judging by the vast amount of serecea present, it seems as though they have to know that it is there??? But there is no apparent effort to limit it from spreading.

So...do I contact them and say "Hey...", to which they may ask how I even know about this. (It can't be seen directly from my property.) Looking for ideas or advice. For all I know they may like it and consider it quail food.
They don't know IMO. When I'm with almost any "regular land owner" I need to point it out to them. It's not OBVIOUS like Thistles for example. It doesn't have an obvious look to it.
I would contact them yes. They want to address it. For their benefit and yourself. This will likely be an enlightening conversation and can be constructive. He likely doesn't know and you do want to get this solved. Good luck!!!!!

We have a good portion invading our field from an adjacent land owner. Absolute pain, worst invasive ever..

Interesting topic Daver. Not sure there's a safe way to approach the subject with them if you don't already have a relationship, and the fact that you can't see it from your property. If they're real a-holes, they may let it go even worse just out of spite.

In NE we have a weed control board in each county.. If you have an entity like that you could call them with an anonymous report if your worried about the can't see it from your property issue. Someone did that to me with my miscanthus gigantus that I used for a screen along a road and said it was phragmites. The sad thing is the county weed control guy couldn't id it as such and sent me a letter telling me I had 2 weeks to destroy it or the county would and then they would send me the bill. This brought forth a teachable moment for the county weed control guy. Besides being the boss of the county board, he was the head of the region. Another fine example of government work. I'm still waiting for them to do something about he actual phragmites growing in a low area in same county, visible from the road.

I’d contact them. SL is BAD stuff and I work with several producers that don’t know what it is!! It is pretty easy to control if you stay at it but costly. What type of ground is this on, CRP? Well if CRP FSA has started making an effort for landowners to control it. I have a neighbor across the fence that doesn’t control theirs and it spreads like wildfire so I’d try to join ranks and get it under control!!

Yeah, I think the threat is serious enough that I am going to do something...I just don't know what yet. 80% of all of the property owners in our area are friends and would be very approachable for this type of mutual interest potential problem. These LO's are probably the only ones in our area that have less than very good relations with all others. They aren't bad folks in my experience, I don't mean that. But their relationships are less stellar than pretty much all of the others.

I am going to work back with the nearby LO that can see this from their ground that also borders them and see how he thinks it would be best to approach it, but I think the threat is serious enough that I don't want to let it ride. Wish me luck. :) Thanks for the replies.

I have it popping up on my place here and there and continue to kill it as I find it. Where did those seeds come from? I have no idea...you been checking when you're out at your place to confirm you don't already have a sprig here or there?

I have it popping up on my place here and there and continue to kill it as I find it. Where did those seeds come from? I have no idea...you been checking when you're out at your place to confirm you don't already have a sprig here or there?
Birds are a major source of spreading. The seed doesn't break down and birds actually stratify the seed and improve seed fertility.

I had never heard of it before and am far from a novice on weeds. Is there another more common name people call it?

Top Bottom