Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seven Caught Poaching Deer

blake

Life Member
hoofline.gif

Seven western Iowans caught in deer poaching case

HARLAN - Seven individuals from Shelby County were cited Thursday for their roles in illegally taking at least 12 deer over the past six weeks.

Those charged include Benjamin Bruck, 16, of Portsmouth, Randy Bruck, 50, of Portsmouth, Jared Klein, 16, of Harlan, Taylor Assmann, 18, of Panama, Lucas Musich, 17, of Harlan, Dylan Barrett, 18, of Shelby and Josh Schaben, 17, of Defiance.

The poaching case began in late October when officers from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources received calls about spotlighting and from farmers who were finding dead deer in their fields with their heads removed.

As the investigation continued, a vehicle description and other details lead officers to Harlan High School to interview the individuals on Tuesday. During interviews, each of the individuals confessed to the activity.

"The individuals and their parents have cooperated during the interview process and everyone gave us a written confession," said Dave Tierney, state conservation officer for Shelby County with the Iowa DNR.

Benjamin Bruck was charged with unlawful possession of deer, hunting by artificial light, unlawful take out of season by firearm and pursuing deer with a motor vehicle. Klein was charged with unlawful possession of deer, hunting by artificial light, unlawful take out of season by firearm and pursuing deer with a motor vehicle. Assmann was charged with hunting by artificial light, unlawful take out of season by firearm and pursuing deer with a motor vehicle.

Musich was charged with hunting by artificial light, unlawful take out of season by firearm and pursuing deer with a motor vehicle. Barrett was charged with hunting by artificial light, unlawful take out of season by firearm and pursuing deer with a motor vehicle. Schaben was charged with hunting by artificial light, unlawful take out of season by firearm and pursuing deer with a motor vehicle.

Randy Bruck was charged with three counts of illegal possession of deer and interference with official acts.

All seven individuals face the suspension of hunting privileges in addition to fine and penalties issued by the court. The DNR seized two shotguns and one muzzleloader.

Tierney was assisted by conservation officers from Pocahontas County, Montgomery County, Greene County and Carroll County, and by the Shelby County Sheriff and the Harlan Police Department.

TURN IN POACHERS!

tiplogo.gif

TIP

Another group of jackasses from my area, absolutely makes me sick . Heck there arent enough deer around the Harlan area as it is. Unreal to me.

Hey man at least they are getting caught in your area. We find dead ones all the time and contact the DNR. Hell they even know who some of the kids are and still cant catch them.

Glad to hear they got caught! Hopefully they confiscate the vehicles involved too. If you ever hear shots at night or see a spotlight, it never hurts to hop in the truck and go look for a vehicle and get plate numbers.

If you ever hear shots at night or see a spotlight, it never hurts to hop in the truck and go look for a vehicle and get plate numbers.

I would be very careful doing that, you may come up missing. :(

Just call law enforcement, let them handle it.

Ya this really sucks. I hunt 1/2 mile from where one of the Bucks were killed. They shot the deer, cut the head off and left the rest.

From what I heard the biggest of the bucks was a 12pt with a drop tine and will score over 160.

Hey man at least they are getting caught in your area. We find dead ones all the time and contact the DNR. Hell they even know who some of the kids are and still cant catch them.

I have the same problem with the stellar officers in my area. I can't seem to tell them anything they don't already know...which makes me wonder why the hell they haven't busted anyone.

I have the same problem with the stellar officers in my area. I can't seem to tell them anything they don't already know...which makes me wonder why the hell they haven't busted anyone.
Maybe because they're armed and dangerous. :D

My guess is the father put them (his son and his buddies) up to it by offering some dough for the racks. Probably thought he was going to get rich selling big bucks. Just a guess.

Actually, I think from the charges the Dad was involved after the fact, by interfering with investigation and being in possession of the racks. (Possession charge for Dad could be nothing more than son hid them at home)

Not defending Dad as either way the apple didn't drop far from the tree. Throw the book at em.

At least they got caught. Unfortunatley, they will all probably get nothing more than a slap on the wrist, and hunting priviledges revoked for a couple years.

Last edited:
Better yet one of the kids was busted last year for shooting a pheasant out the window next to a State Park.

Top Bottom