Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shawnee Switch vs. Cave in Rock

MN Slick

PMA Member
Has anyone planted Shawnee Switchgrass? Cave in Rock seems like the standard in the midwest but I recently saw some youtube videos touting Shawnee. I'm going to plant some switch this spring in North MO in an area that can be wet in the spring. Ernst recommended Shawnee over Cave in Rock for my situation.

Can't comment specifically to your question, but I've been looking at switchgrass varieties a lot lately as I need to plant some as well. Liberty is one that peaked my interest. It's also a low land variety. Ernst carries it I believe. Nebraska 28 and kanlow are a couple others I've been researching.

A mix is very smart. Good call!!!
Kanlow does best of any on wet ground. But does very well on upland as well. It’s more spindly but taller. So- good to add some kanlow.
if u added: CIR, sunburst & one other variety- I really don’t think anyone would have issues. My mixes stands have: kanlow, CIR & one other variety depending on when i planted. So- all have about 3 varieties when doing a higher density switch stand.... zero issues. Covers all soil types, has the height & has the density.

What are the thoughts between seed grown in same regional ecotype of the planting versus seed grown out east? A few of the locals have limited inventory and I'd have to confirm where they source. Ernst out east has both CIR and Shawnee.....1/2 the price as well, but no Kanlow. I'm probably over analyzing things as usual!

Thinking the all get there seed from same suppliers ? Dought it was grown out east . Probaly just bought a bigger order and has lots left !

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thinking the all get there seed from same suppliers ? Dought it was grown out east . Probaly just bought a bigger order and has lots left !

I didn't think so either but the customer service person said it was grown in PA.

Ok nice to know! Don't think it make a big difference? But would love more info also!!

I always use CIR with light mix of Kanlow from Osenbaughs always worked well.. Kanlow gives you good break up with height for screening ..

CIR is native to IL. Kanlow is native to KS. Both will be absolutely fine in iowa or surrounding. There’s a iowa ecotype that hoksey seed carries as well- low cost. Almost all should be fine. Only issue I’ve ever had was MAYBE with “Blackwell” I think??? Got a bit of die back and die down/thinning - due to disease.
again- u run “Shawnee, kanlow, liberty, sunburst, CIR, etc” - run 2 or 3 of these and I assure u - most will have little to no issue.

Interesting read. For our use- not a huge topic of production - but I would say it’s a good variety:

https://cenusa.iastate.edu/high-yielding-switchgrass-superstar-–-now-commercially-available

3DCECBDF-1C8D-41BA-859E-D319E2C33211.jpeg

Is the consensus that seed from Ernst being out east would work well for our area? I am also in the market for switchgrass seed
Call hoksey seed or Millborn seed. Hoksey is right here in center of iowa. A lot of what they get or grow is obviously iowa seed.

Top Bottom