Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shedding right on cue…

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
By end of December- I don’t think I’ve ever had a season where I don’t periodically see a shed buck. By end of late ML season- there’s always a fair bit of them. Of course the bulk dont drop until February & March but…. As expected, I’ve got 3 bucks on cam that have shed - this one is a half rack. Big one that shed early last year & he was bigger this year. So- I don’t necessarily think it means anything wrong with them. Cold weather gets a few dropping for sure. Be careful on those that are “doe hunting”. Bring those binos!!
a92415cc7ad9c3dd175ee96a5f3ac305.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neighbor had first one of year the other day. None on me that I know of yet but wouldn’t suprise me. Always fascinating to me how/why there can be 3 to almost 4 months of difference between when one buck drops vs another. I’ve always wondered if the ones that drop early have a longer growing period and get a little bigger as a result compared to the ones that hold on late. I’m sure there’s been studies on it but I’ve just never heard much talked about in that area.

I saw over 6 shed bucks on 1 farm. 2 of the biggest were already shed.

How’s your population overall u think? Low, medium, high? Buck to doe ratio? Food left & natural browse- what’s your opinion of quality & quantity there?

Had our biggest buck shed one side on 1/7 and may have lost the other already as I haven't seen an identifiable pic since. These late antlerless seasons are unfortunate...

How’s your population overall u think? Low, medium, high? Buck to doe ratio? Food left & natural browse- what’s your opinion of quality & quantity there?
High population, but plenty of food both grains and browse. I would say the ratio is no worse than 3 doe to 1 buck.

I might be worried that coyote would take it as a play or chew toy. Be fun sometime to snare cable and crimp ferrules on in between the brow and G-1 and a disposable trapping stake to anchor. Place in a spot visible from the road and hide a cell cam up high.

Top Bottom