Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ShedhunterMD...

Big Timber

ShedMD,
I was interested to know what your soil is like out there? What are you doing if anything to prepare for planting this year? I'm just curious to see what you are up against in MD.

I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks,

BT

The soil where we put in food plots is a little sandy, but in the past the land has grown some impressive crops. We generally get around 40” of rain a year hopefully that will help with the quick draining soil.

I was told the land was limed a couple times over the past five years, that was a relief. Two tons an acre it could have gotten costly. I plan to fertilize after the fields start to come up, if they come up. I won't be using any nitrogen because the clover/legumes create there own, and adding nitrogen could burn them up.

Our biggest challenge will be the quick draining soil, and the clover may not like it, but the alfalfa should be okay, and I don‘t know how the chicory will do. We planted last Friday right before a big rain, so I guess we will see what happens.

I have only hunted the place three times, and the first evening on stand I blew it on a 8-10 point with 14-16” G2’; I hope the added nutrition from the food plots and mineral will give just a little more to the already impressive deer, for that area. Our farm backs up to over a 1,000 acres of solid wood, so we may be able to entice a few more deer onto our property. According to the land owner there are a handful of bucks between 120“-150” already.

I will keep you informed, and thanks for the interest.

Ryan

Top Bottom