Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shooting 'inferior' deer

CamoMan

I've noticed a lot of references on this site about culling bucks that appear to have weak genetics. My question is this: Given our tag structure in Iowa, who is really going to do that? I don't want to use my any-sex tag on a deer that I'm not excited about, because then my tag is used up. Plus, it's pretty hard to manage your 'herd' unless you have a large tract of land, and the neighbors cooperate. Now, managing does is an easier situation to deal with, since so many doe tags are available. Just wondering about this, because bucks travel long distances anyway, and removing one of these doesn't stop the next 3 or 4 of them from coming across your hunting spot. Your thoughts ?

I agree Camoman, I'm not using up my only either sex tag on a buck I don't want to shoot, seems like a hard thing to regulate to me. Even regulating does is tough here, they only issue on tag for them, only one either sex tag PERIOD in some zones, our game dept. has got to wake up and see, there are too many does. Back to the ?, like you I'm not going to do my part in making sure inferior bucks are taken out.

I have a similar dilemma. I have a deer at our farm that is atleast 4 1/2 and only has a fork on one side and a 130 to 140 inch class bucks 4 pt right side. He has grown this the last 3 years that I am know of. Will I shoot him, most likely not when I know there are better deer running around. I would like to have him shot, but I do not want to waste a buck tag on him. I hope that he does not pass his genes onto the next generation that is for sure!

I'm not saying anyone should shoot bucks with obvious poor genetics but as a landowner in Iowa you can get three any-sex tags. Two paid and one free landowners. If you have bucks that are obvious culls, I don't think it's a good excuse to say I don't have enough any-sex tags to "waste".

that is the situation here in ohio! we have very restricted tag regulations here, we are allowed only one either sex tag and 2 doe tags. i have found that the only solution to this problem would be to take a youngster or first time hunter out and let him or her dispose of the "inferior" deer! any size buck is awesome when it's your first one, a youngster would be very proud! i do what i can to take as many youngsters or first time hunters out hunting with me, especially early season, and let them shoot these types of deer not only does it help me out but it gives them there first huge sniff of the addiction!

IMO.....unless you are part of a private high fenced deer management operation I think that culling bucks based on genetic make-up is a real joke, especially in Iowa.

Unless, of course, that there are about 5 big shotgun groups around your property that all want to participate in your QDM plan. I just don't see that happening. The proof hangs in the pole barns across the state each shotgun season. Would I like to see this change? Heck yes! Will it? Who knows.....
grin.gif

Another thing to consider...what bucks are doing the majority of the breeding?

If the genetically inferior is even getting a chance to breed then you probably have a buck to doe ratio problem instead.

I think I will just let mother nature take care of this one.....
grin.gif

Well said Ghost,
I believe that culling bucks is the final step in an ongoing qdm battle. I don't think this really applies to Iowa in general. IMO, we need to concentrate on does before we even think of culling. And as Ghost pointed out, the inferior deer (not always), don't usually breed as heavily as the larger dominant deer.

If shooting inferior bucks is part of your QDM plan, I wouldn't consider it wasting your tag on the deer. You just have to decide what your goals are and go with it.

BT

I totally agree with Ghost and BT. As BT stated Culling should be a last step in your QDM efforts. If quality bucks are your goal letting the bucks bucks reach maturity before harvest and providing proper nutrition should be your focus. Trying to keep the herd ratio in check as best as possible is a never ending quest that should be part of everyones plan that truly wants a quality herd.

Knowing what to cull is also a very tough proposition. I have camera pics of one deer that we got on film from 1998 through last year. By our estimates he was 10.5 years old last year!!! The kicker is that from 98-2000 he was a generic although nice eight point. Then he went to a main frame seven that we decided was a cull, given his age and his antler characteristics to date. We failed to harvest him and didn't get him on film in '02. He returned last fall as a main frame eight with bases of 8" plus, three droptines, and a gross score somewhere in the 180's or better. So now, what would be a cull deer IF we had the ground and tags limits to allow us to take more bucks?

When I mention "wasting" a tag on the buck on our farm. I was just trying to say I think it would be more beneficial for me to shoot a doe than to shoot this buck. I would rather tag a doe than a buck I do not want to kill.

It seems to me we are over thinking all this QDM stuff. On one hand some say they won't waste their tag on a "cull" but then get upset if the guy next door shoots that same deer in a brown is down deer drive. I like to hunt deer but I am not a true trophy hunter. I like to let small deer go if I feel the situation calls for it. I don't like the term or idea of culls. Just because a buck doesn't have the kind of horns we would like to see he is still a wonderful wild animal to match wits and skills with and show respect to, not disrespect by "wasting a tag". We cull a herd of cattle or a flock of sheep, or a litter of pups, but we don't do it because a bulls horns aren't big enough, or the pups tails are to short. My point is that we can't tell anything about a bucks genitics just by the look of his horns for a year or two. If we want only perfect deer we need to contain them and treat them like Herfords, and I for one certainly don't want that, and hope that you don't either.

I just read an excellent article about this in Texas Trophy Hunters preseason guide. Many valid points were written about. They stated one six year old 124 inch buck that was a yearling spike produced 4 sons that were 170 inch plus bucks. Also culling creating average herds if the mature deer were harvested before significantly contributing to the gene pool. The last statment to the article was "To be realistic, culling should not be expected to result in more than marginal genetic gains in free ranging deer populations within the lifetime of the manager."

For those of you that have genetic inferior bucks that you want harvested may I make this suggest.

Ask around, see if you can find a young person who is not fortunate enough to have someone to take them hunting. Then get them a tag, teach them firearm and general hunting safety, spend some time in the woods with them.

Be a friend and mentor. Let them harvest those deer for you. I am sure it will give you a good feeling promoting this sport we all love. And, our youth is the future hunting.
smile.gif

Top Bottom