Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun 1 Who’s hunting?

If your area has a lot of pressure with groups pushing timber than sit all day. AM and PM sits you will see deer if land is getting pushed around you. Shotgun season is a lot like blind luck in pressured areas. You could kill a buck that has been pushed from over miles away. If you are in an area with not a lot of pressure I would sit both AM and PM. Seen some good rutting activity going on as of late. Sitting last night I saw a mature buck chase a doe pretty hard in open ag. Another thing to consider is corn in your area. If you have any corn fields still in GOODLUCK! Ha, Late corn could result in does coming into heat later since not being breed in Nov. In areas with standing crop does were able to get away from bucks easier. with crops coming out late could result in longer dragged out rut activity. I know it has been a question in the past but if you have standing corn in your area. 100% the deer are in it. They're not dumb!

Last year we saw nice bucks at almost all hours of the day. I was being "picky" and ended up with tag soup!! We sure had a fun time!

This guy!!!!! One farm- needs lots of does to go by-by. Actually party hunt with doe tags. Other places need none shot. & I do have LOT buck tag for 1 & 2. I’ll gladly give it away party hunting though. Sitting with some friends gun 1 & 2 and it’s exciting for me to see them get a crack at an old buck. I’ll be out- just probably be doing more watching & cheering than actual shooting myself. Good luck all!!

*Side note - agree on above. If u r in area with deer drives- sit still all day!!!! I’d sit in stand and it would be SLOW.... about 10am on or when army goes- total madness!!!!! So- stay put if u have deer drives around. I don’t have any by me now but back in the day it was a circus from 10-2.

Would it be worthwhile grunting or bleeting? We have little pressure around us. Got a nice vantage point at the top of the hill. Evening or morning food plot sits?
0f3561766bc02438c56c10f34e9993bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My 13 year old son will be shadowing me this year in my party. He's so much like his mother when it comes to showing his excitement for things. "Are you excited buddy?!" "Yep." And that's about all I get out of him... I guess he's had the advantage of youth season hunting a few years and bagging a couple of deer already. Where I couldn't sleep for the couple of days leading into my 1st deer hunt.

I'll be heading home to NE IA again to see some family and take my boys with. 9 year old is going to tag along one day for the first time. He's even giving up a basketball tournament to go deer hunting :D Proud papa not so happy momma. Also have one of my best friends from HS coming home for the first time in 20 years to hunt again since he moved out of state. His dad (group leader I guess you could say) is beyond excited to have his son back hunting with the family again. Can't wait to be part of him shooting his first deer in over 20 years.

Top Bottom