Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ColoredRed24

Happy Hunting Fellas!

Just had a quick question for yall.

Normally during shotgun season, my brother and I sit in treestands or blinds just like during bow season.

We are wanting to do something different thing year with the public land around our private land spot.

Say we sit in our normal spots for the morning/evening hunts but we are wanting to do some walking during the middle part of the day.

Having never 'drive' hunt or 'party' hunt, does anyone have any tips about what works best for them?

Can we do it with just two people?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

I tried slowly bumping deer for son many times and it never works out with the two of us. I had more success still hunting alone, very very slow. If you bump deer that don't see or smell you stay put and do what they do, snort and stomp the toe of your foot. Most times they will be curious and walk toward the sound. Killed a few this way. I've seen a few before they heard me and spent an hour or more sneaking closer for a shot, good luck!

It’s possible. Depends on what you’re pushing and escape routes. We’ve done 2 man pushes with success and not. Obviously it’s easier for deer to simply skirt the driver but it’s not impossible either.

I've done it several times in the past with my brother. Not very effective, but can be done. If you know a good exit route for the deer, one could post there and then the other just kind of zig zag through the area to see what they kick up. We've also walked each side of main ditches to see if we kick something out in front of the other. If you can see across, keep each other in sight and move together. We'd typically be 75-100 yds from each other doing this and never shoot to the other's side (usually too brushy anyway). A 3rd and 4th person adds to the effectiveness.

I’ve shot a lot of deer this way and most have been in late season muzzleloader after they were very wary from shotgun pressure.
I say go for it. There are too many variables to really give you much advice but you need to know where they are likely bedded and consider where they will likely go. That will depend a lot on the habitat, pressure and wind direction. Unless the cover is very thick and expansive, they will get into the wind to escape and probably break into the next block of heavy cover or bust for open ground. If they’ve been pressured I would avoid looking in open timber and look for “pheasant” type cover or even possibly lying out in an open area that is nearly impossible to approach undetected. Your best bet is hunting them first. I like to place blockers upwind, but off to the side and sufficiently far enough away that the deer are likely to slow down or stop. You can bump deer by directly approaching them or letting your scent drift into bedding cover. Good luck!

Most of the time you'll see the deer but will be hard to be in the right place to shoot them. If you know the deer are there, I think the two of you are better off finding a food source and wait for them to come to you.

Top Bottom