Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun Red Dot Sights

cybball

Going to be putting a red dot on my turkey gun/slug gun. It's a Rem 870 12ga. I swap it out (chokes) for slugs or turkey loads. I currently have tru-glow sights (front and rear) and would like to move to a red dot. Any suggestions on sights? I see some are a flat "screen" and some are a scope tube type. Didn't know the difference. But would love some recommendations from peeps that are using them. Which sight and why?
Thanks!

Honestly I'd stay away from anything sightmark, truglo, barska and anything under $100 bucks. You want it to hold zero and recoil on a shotgun is substantial. Those cheaper red dots may hold zero, but the lenses are very cheap. My brother got a cheap bushnell red dot on a trade and mounted it offset on an AR, the lense ended up shattering after a couple sessions on the range.

Some solid, affordable brands I'd recommend: Vortex, Holosun and Sig sauer. Vortex has a phenomenal lifetime warranty that is hard to beat. Most red dots also come with multiple risers, so you can co witness iron sights or raise it up for better heads up shooting position. Probably won't be able to co witness irons on a shotgun I'd assume.

Bushnell TRS-25 is a tube style, and what I use. I have this on a Remington 12 gauge 870 Tactical. I don't use this for hunting, but have had it for 5 years. I use this gun for work and it has spent the 5 years getting slammed around in a patrol car in temps from -20 to +100. I have probably put 500-750 rounds through the gun, and have had 0 issues, and the battery life is great.

Honestly I'd stay away from anything sightmark, truglo, barska and anything under $100 bucks. You want it to hold zero and recoil on a shotgun is substantial. Those cheaper red dots may hold zero, but the lenses are very cheap. My brother got a cheap bushnell red dot on a trade and mounted it offset on an AR, the lense ended up shattering after a couple sessions on the range.

Some solid, affordable brands I'd recommend: Vortex, Holosun and Sig sauer. Vortex has a phenomenal lifetime warranty that is hard to beat. Most red dots also come with multiple risers, so you can co witness iron sights or raise it up for better heads up shooting position. Probably won't be able to co witness irons on a shotgun I'd assume.
I didn't see any posts before I posted, so not trying to bash what anybody else uses. Buy the best your budget can afford.

Really appreciate the feedback. I was looking at Bushnell as well as some of the lower $ Vortex sights. Hoping to pick one up soon and get it ready for 4th season turkey.

I'll go the cheaper route first for my kid's 20g. Probably see how that thing does and then decide on my set up.

Thanks. Ended up getting my son the TRS-25 and got a Vortex Crossfire for my gun. Can’t wait to try them out.

Sounds like you have a couple nice set ups. An inexpensive red dot on a turkey gun is a great combo.

We both use these guns for turkeys as well as sluggers for deer. Red dots will be a nice change I think. I"ve always liked using them when shooting friend's guns.

Top Bottom