Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Should I run my cams during the season?

DannyBoy

Hey all, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place on this. I've been dying to get my cams out, as the owner of one of my farms has been seeing some really nice bucks. But, I literally cannot find the time to make the drive and get that done. The last couple years I've really wanted to take a buck that I've got trailcam pics of, and it has yet to happen. So, I was thinking that maybe I'll set them up maybe the week before bow opener. My only predicament is that I have a gut feeling that setting my cams up for the first time that close to opener may not give them enough time to get used to them before they quit their summer patterns, and the last thing I want is to hunt bucks even more wary than they should be, especially since I'll probably only make it out a handful of times this year. I do not have fancy cameras. None of that no-flash technology or anything like that. Should I be concerned?

-DannyBoy-

I don't have any problems leaving mine out during the season. I get some of my best pics about the end of october and first couple weeks of November. Make sure to have them on scrapes around that time. Just stay scent free and let them sit awhile before you check them.

You may leave some scent and some deer do get a little spooked by the flash. But they wont change their patterns very much. They might skirt the camera or walk behind it, maybe not use that trail altogether. But from my experiences, they don't seem to hurt my hunting at all.

Get them out there and check them when you're walking in and out. Better yet, put them on some scrapes on a field edge where you can check them with a much lower chance of spooking deer. Get'r done Danny!

I like seeing what has been there when I am not. It also helps you to see when daytime movement has picked up.

Ya I'm just kinda curious what's there. I know there are good bucks, just not sure the caliber of them. I'll probably go ahead and throw them up in the next couple weeks and see what happens!

I will run mine all season long. its a good way to keep tabs on what is going on!

get em up!

Well I should be okay then, as I am literally a scent free FREAK from about the first of september (or whenever I start making contact with my hunting ground) all the way through the end of late muzz, and often later than that for bonus season's. Thanks for the input guys, maybe I'll have some pics to show before too long!

I can't imagine not having them out there now until the antlers fall.

Get' em out there bud!

Top Bottom