Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Show on all habitat, conservation, building a farm - no deer hunts - any interest?

Awsome idea skip ! What about visiting a couple of members farms and checking out what they have done? Maybe little segment of one member farm per episode? Just a suggestion!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It would help people like me alot, with things I know nothing about, but willing to learn and hopefully not make too many mistakes cutting the wrong trees, planting in the wrong spots etc. I think it would be a hit.

I'd watch it, maybe not in great detail right now since I don't have property, but that's stuff I'll want to know I'm the near future for sure.

I would not watch. Would need the deer hunting part.
I lost one on this. :confused::confused::p Fair enough. This was my whole intention with Midwest whitetail- all education. I did commit to ONE year of filming a hunt. Got my one hunt in ;). Props to those that do it- that part isn’t for me. Thankfully there is a lot of folks who can fill the “shooting a big buck” on video part. & folks that do a great job of it. Not my thing.

I think my approach would be the EXACT OPPOSITE of the “hunting celebrity”. Want conservation, land, wildlife & folks learning things to be the “star”.

well good, im glad to see this. I’ve got a few different ways I could do this & support - Just needs to be right situation. Chewing through this & discussing & lots more to discuss & see if right fit makes sense. Thx for feedback and thoughts. All greatly appreciated!!

I lost one on this. :confused::confused::p Fair enough. This was my whole intention with Midwest whitetail- all education. I did commit to ONE year of filming a hunt. Got my one hunt in ;). Props to those that do it- that part isn’t for me. Thankfully there is a lot of folks who can fill the “shooting a big buck” on video part. & folks that do a great job of it. Not my thing.

I think my approach would be the EXACT OPPOSITE of the “hunting celebrity”. Want conservation, land, wildlife & folks learning things to be the “star”.

well good, im glad to see this. I’ve got a few different ways I could do this & support - Just needs to be right situation. Chewing through this & discussing & lots more to discuss & see if right fit makes sense. Thx for feedback and thoughts. All greatly appreciated!!

No ill intent intended on my part at all and I hope your project is a great success. This site is made up of a lot of people who are very interested in land management. It would make sense that they would be very interested in your project. Most of the feedback you have gotten from other guys here is they will watch; many own their own farms or have exclusive permission. I doubt I will ever own land for deer hunting again. I owned 40 acres for a few years and sold it. Owning land is not for me. I would rather spend the money on an elk hunt. So a land management show would not be of great interest to me. It may be of benefit to consider many people are not in a position to manage the land they hunt.

Just because I am not interested in a show about land management does not mean I prefer the "hunting celebrity" or "shooting a big buck" shows either. It is not one or the other. We need to be careful not to lump people into groups, especially when we know nothing about them. I agree, there are lots of shows that are way over the top with advertising and way too focused on the killing. The shows I like focus on strategy and going to new places and learning how to hunt animals in that location. Oftentimes there is no kill. There are very few hunting shows I enjoy, but they are out there. I listen to way more podcasts anymore; obviously no kill shots there.

I hope your project is a great success. Good luck with it.

I'd watch. We just sold our farm in NE and relocated to SW IA. We've owned multiple farms in NE, enjoyed them all, but it's good to be back home after many years away. We find ourselves in the "starting over from scratch" phase once again with the new farm here in IA. With every farm we've bought, we've enjoyed the process of habitat improvement, food plot architecture, soil improvement and general land stewardship, as much as releasing the arrow. So...here we go again...different dirt, different terrain, different winds, different crop/crp/timber layout in the surrounding neighborhood, different neighbors...different everything. I've got strong opinions on what needs to be done to make our new place the best WT Bed & Breakfast in the neighborhood, but I'm always curious about how other knowledgeable, experienced bowhunters would see the canvas differently than I do. Interestingly, a good friend and I have been discussing the same concept about documenting the process of taking this place from an under-developed diamond in the rough, and slowly unlocking the potential, piece by piece. We had the same question, "I wonder if anyone would be interested in seeing that process unfold?" I hope your project comes together.

Just a piece of unsolicited advice. (Not worth much) :) I do love watching hunting shows or land management type shows. Always have, but one thing I've noticed in ALL of them is that the first year or two are really fun to watch. They are raw and real. Then, along come the sponsorships. Happens in every single show or youtube vlog. I get why it happens and the fact that it does makes sense. $ pays for shows. BUT, it ruins them eventually too. Non-stop commercials during the hunt showing ozonics, certain calls, deer hoof track maker, scents, etc ect etc. Maybe this can't be avoided, but if you do start something up, try to keep that in mind and try hard to keep things real. Guys on Hunting Public have done a decent job of it, and a few others.
What you did on IW was really helpful and really cool. You talked shop about TSI, or about fertilizer and what the #s mean, etc. You also explained why you did what you did, which helps those of us that are interested. Shows like that but that don't change over to an in-your-face commercial is what I look for, as for me it is about an education.

I think a documentary movie of sorts on the process of transforming a farm would be very cool. I suppose a normal type of show could be made of the process depending on show intervals.

No ill intent intended on my part at all and I hope your project is a great success. This site is made up of a lot of people who are very interested in land management. It would make sense that they would be very interested in your project. Most of the feedback you have gotten from other guys here is they will watch; many own their own farms or have exclusive permission. I doubt I will ever own land for deer hunting again. I owned 40 acres for a few years and sold it. Owning land is not for me. I would rather spend the money on an elk hunt. So a land management show would not be of great interest to me. It may be of benefit to consider many people are not in a position to manage the land they hunt.

Just because I am not interested in a show about land management does not mean I prefer the "hunting celebrity" or "shooting a big buck" shows either. It is not one or the other. We need to be careful not to lump people into groups, especially when we know nothing about them. I agree, there are lots of shows that are way over the top with advertising and way too focused on the killing. The shows I like focus on strategy and going to new places and learning how to hunt animals in that location. Oftentimes there is no kill. There are very few hunting shows I enjoy, but they are out there. I listen to way more podcasts anymore; obviously no kill shots there.

I hope your project is a great success. Good luck with it.
I didn’t mean “u r into celeb hunters” or any inference like that. Your comments are great and fair. & I respect your point of view & feedback. What u said was Well spoken and did want to clarify what I meant in return.
& yes, I TOTALLY AGREE- land ownership is not for everyone. Probably NOT for most. Looks great from outside looking in, different animal when u own it and all that goes along with it. As u know.
Well wishes as well and appreciate your posts!

I think you have a great idea. This is a good place for me to say that this forum has been the best source of information for me that’s helped along my journey. Habitat work is my true joy in life, second to my family. The big buck hunt sure is exciting but for me it is simply the reward for all the hard work. There are a lot of people looking for this type of information, As I know I sure was and still am. I post when I can and read many of others posts and have been for several years. The amount of knowledge here is amazing. Putting similar content out on a video platform will be really well received by many I believe.

Top Bottom