Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

sick deer

dblmainbeam

Do you think this deer has ehd? I see she has a large tumor.
773-img_244797652512278.jpeg

I wouldn't think EHD, that should've killed it pretty quick, wouldn't think it would have time to lose that much weight before dying, deer I've found dead from EHD did not look emaciated like that, but I'm also not a biologist

Tumor, abscess or a hernia, none of which associated with EHD. If you get the chance, kill the poor dear deer & put her out of her misery. Surprised the coyotes haven't done it already.

That's crazy! Could you legally put that deer out of its misery without having a tag and have it tested? I know in counties with a lot of available doe tags you could just buy one and shoot her but in a county like mine where the doe tags are gone the first week they go on sale could you shoot her or would you have to use your anysex tag?

That's crazy! Could you legally put that deer out of its misery without having a tag and have it tested? I know in counties with a lot of available doe tags you could just buy one and shoot her but in a county like mine where the doe tags are gone the first week they go on sale could you shoot her or would you have to use your anysex tag?

I would think you would need to have the "OK" from the DNR to shoot it for testing purposes, or to have the CO come out and shoot it. I'm sure they could issue a tag then if needed. Otherwise I would think there would be a lot of deer shot without tags for testing purposes. They would just decide after to not have the DNR get involved.

If that doe hasn't been seen since October, the coyotes & eagles have reduced her to a skeleton long ago. I had one show up on camera a few years ago that looked like that. Walked up on it a couple days later so weak it was unable to run away. What was done may not technically have been legal but there is no doubt in my mind it was ethical & we'll just let it go at that. Statute of limitations has run out on that crime anyway. :rolleyes:

On the "medical" front, there is nothing that I know of that presents with that type of swelling/growth/mass that is at all contagious so the rest of the herd in the area is pretty safe.

Top Bottom