Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Single pin sight?

BowHunt'nFool

Hi I was wondering if anybody uses a sight that just has one pin and you can adjust it at the rear of the sight for different yardages?
I was looking at the Cosmic sight made by Impact Archery. I like how bright it is, but was wondering how it would work in a hunting situation? I think it would work great for 3D shoots and Tha Dart Target System at Fin&Feather. I am just worried about hunting. Like if I have the adjustment set at 20 yrds and a deer comes in at 30 yrds it might be hard to do if you dont have much time to adjust. I try to keep my shot at 20-25yrds but you never know when a buck might hang up or pass by at 30-35 yrds. Well thanks for your oppinions!!!
BowHunt'nFool

BHF

Most the guys that I know who shoot the Cosmic by Impact keep it dialed at 25 yards. That way anything under that you can hold normally and if it's over that you can adjust accordingly. I'm with you though, if it's over 25-30 yards I'm not shooting. Don't pass the Trophy Ridge sights by, they work very well in low light situations. I was in my turkey blind a few weeks ago and it was super overcast and snowing and the sun had gone over the bluff, I could see my TR extremely well even in my double bull. Of course it did me no good cuz I still missed my turkey!! Good luck with your search.

I used one of those slide adjustment sights for one season and gave it up. It had the finger arm on it so I could adjust it if I was fully drawn. The problem was I would get so focused on the deer that I would forget to move the crazy thing. I guess if I could walk and chew gum at the same time I could have done better with it.

Hey Muddy, your all right no matter what Rackaddict says!
wink.gif
I love my Trophy Ridge sight. I think the vertical pins help a bunch and the way it is set up the pins collect allot more light than most other pins. I would like to replace the red pin with the green because I see the green better. Do you know were to get a pin for a TR sight? I didn't see pins for one at Bass Pro or Cabela's.

BWF,
I have been thinking of trying one myself, but I am like headgear once that big boys in front of me I'm not responsible for my actions. It just seems like it's one more thing to worry about and when your stairing at a hawg that's the last thing anyone needs. Although it does seem like it would be nice for 3D shoots etc.. I like muddys idea about the 25 yard setting.

However some of my friends have used the wrong pin before on a multiple pin sight. I could see the advantage of only having one pin in the sight window. Just an opinion.
Nonres

Your absolutely right Nonres. I used to shoot 4 pins before I tried the adjustable and that was about as bad. I shot the wrong pin several times especially if I had to hurry. If Rack would quit talking crap and start talking pins he could tell you he has been shooting one pin for years and it has worked very well for him. That is the main reason I ended up going to the same kind of system with a Trophy Ridge. I have a 25 yard pin and a 45 yard pin. I use both for target shooting and I use the 25 yard pin for hunting. The 25 is far enough from the 45 that I don't get them mixed up.

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, but I'm hoping to be helpful. I shoot the single pin sight on my Bow-Tech. I staff shoot for J&J archery in S.W MN and used this sight for the 02' 3-D season and IA deer season. My bow is shooting 282 fps so I found zeroing the single pin @ 28 yards allowed me to hold on the kill zone from 0-32 yards. The light gathering capability is awesome in low light situations!

Rack & Headgear, et all....

You two brothers or something?? From the amount of bickering it would seem so!!
smile.gif
I agree with Headgear, I don't have the discipline to hold a single pin sight so I have to have multiple. Of course having more than one pin means you have to be able to count over 1 right?? Maybe that's what Rack's problem is right Headgear??!!

Rack - go to www.trophyridge.com and email mark garcia and he'll tell you how to get a green pin for your sight. Should cost around $15-$20 depending on shipping and stuff. Otherwise you could drive all the way to Iowa City Scheel's and I'll sell you one.
wink.gif
By the way, changing the pins out is a pain in the buttocks...buy a 5 pin sight and be done with it!!

Muddy, Don't listen to a thing Headgear has to say. When I first met him he was under a wad of toilet paper and he's still a little TURD!
grin.gif

I tried to go to a single pin last year and just could not get used to it so I went back to a 20-30 yard setup.
I think if you could get use to it the movable sight pin might be alright.If you really want to switch I would do it early on though,I tried to change over right before season and that just don'te work.
The only thing I would be worried about would be trying to get the yardage right on a moving animal,there's already plenty to do and this would just add to that list!

Muddy,

Might as well be, we grew up together. I would die trying to save him unless I was the one trying to kill him.
wink.gif
Honestly, we are best friends and I hope no one takes us seriously.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the counting over one thing. Thanks for the info on the pin.

I have been shooting a pendulum sight for the last 15 years and wouldn't hunt without one. Personally to me there are too many other things to be concentrating on other than what pin to use. The Predator IV pendulum once set up can also be shot from the ground without locking or adjusting anything. Just point it and shoot. Doesn't get any easier than that. Plus there's only one pin with a big sight window.

Check out the testimonials on this site there's a couple of bucks that I've taken on there. I've gotten a half dozen of my friends to shoot this sight and they can all tell you "it's the real thing".

Bob Whitlock

http://www.predatorproducts.net/

Here's a few more

http://www.trophyphotos.com/photos/full/5813.jpg http://www.trophyphotos.com/photos/full/5815.jpg

I had the same dilema when i got my legacy this last year. I always liked the multi pin sights and ordered on or the trophy ridge matrix sights but it did not work for my ancore point, anyway i ended up going with a single pin HHA optimizer sight that i absoultly love. I leave it set at 20 yards in the stand , and if i need to take a shot further than that it had better be standing still , so i would have time to adjust. It happened this year actually. I had one standing at 30 yard for 8 min before he gave me a shot other than head on. But when the time came the single pin did the job. The one thing i like about the single pin so much is the ease of centering it through the peep sight. With only one pin you eye centers on it faster and my acuracy increased too. that my 2 cents

Top Bottom