Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Skid loaders?

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Likley doesn't matter that much but best brands and why? Looking at track machine eventually. High flow. Forestry type stuff.

Last edited:
How new of a machine are you looking for. We have a bobcat and love it, but it is old enough that it has a Kubota engine in it which are a great engine. Newer bobcats have a Doosan engine and I have heard mixed reviews on them. My advice is to get in and drive them and see what is comfortable. Have heard really good things from guys that own Cat machines as well. Also very intrigued by the jcb teleskidders. You exit out the side instead of the front which would be really nice in a lot of situations.

We had a guy out to get a quote on tree pulling and he commented that track skids have an issue if mud freezes in them. Not sure if this is true or not. My only two cents, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've operated a lot of skidloaders, ASV is hands down the best track machine on the market, best ride excellent reliability

I would take ASV #1 Cat #2 and I run an SVL90 Kubota too and its not a bad unit. Cat 299D2 is a beast but its like hauling a lead sled on a trailer.. I dont love pilot controls myself and tracks are a must doing forestry work. If you plan to run a mulcher ever get the biggest HP you can.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For forestry, asv for sure. They have the best tracks for work in the woods, can't hardly peel them off. They don't have the best cab but are best suited for that job. I think they are coming out with a 135 hp forestry machine. When it comes to forestry mulching, you want all the horse power you can get.
If you are not going to run a mulching head, there are probably better options. Cat is hard to beat and last I knew they were the only other company using the asv track system.

Ground clearance is a big one on farms. I THINK the cats & maybe bobcat are lower. I am pretty sure ASV & maybe Kubota have advantage there.

I know I hear a lot of guys saying “don’t buy xyz years of xyz machines”. I hear this a lot. For example…. I could be off here but when bobcat & Kubota added DEF (maybe 2016??) those few years most guys had a lot of issues. It sounded like the last 2 years possibly the issues got “better”. I know my grandpa had 2 t870’s with def &/or DPF systems. He ran them a few times a week at most (lower usage which is not ideal for new emissions garbage)…. Both of them had emissions systems crash under 500 hours. He sold both of them as he said “this will be a never ending headache”. I think he said if he got stuck paying to have them redone ongoing it would be like $5k every time!!!! Clearly some guys have gone to the DELETE solutions.

For BOBCAT- I have a buddy that owns like 6-7 of them. He got a recent one that was either new or newer…. He ran it for a week & sold it. I asked why & he said “final drive was really dialed back (likely cause a lot were going out) & it was weak. My older machines have way more power than this. So- I got rid of it and I’ll buy an older machine”. That’s one guy but all he runs is a little fleet of bobcat & he said stay away from New. & for now he will only buy units without the DEF systems cause he also had so many issues. Who knows I guess but I’d call his advice & experience solid.

For farm - I gotta think I’d try out ASV & Kubota & see what thoughts are. You will have fairly local parts & service with those as well. I’d love to dig in more on ASV…. Specs for sure are awesome. If they are well built & reliable- they would be strong candidate if so.

I had a CASE 440CT (Tier II) for a few years. 89-93 hp, with Hi/Low speeds and auxiliary hydraulics. Picked it up cheap with 2500 hours. I replaced the final drives within the first couple hundred hours. Saved a ton of cash doing that work myself, but kind of a PITA to do without a proper machine shop and hoists, etc. It was an absolute tank that would do anything I wanted to do with it, within reason. Tracks weighed like 400# a piece. Toward the end, I had a track off and back on 6 different times in one day, and that's the day that I decided to sell it... If I ever get another track machine, the ability for it to hold onto its tracks will be one of my top requirements. Resetting a track might not be that bad if you've got another machine to lift your loader up and another set of hands to help you out, but resetting a track solo, especially in the muck, is beyond aggravating.

Top Bottom