Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

skunk river

pghbowhunter

Hey guys great site.I have a quick question.I'm going to hunt the area around the skunk river this year from 11/13 to 11/19 is this a good area and two is this a good time of year.I'm hunting on good buddy place he not in to hunting deer.
thanks pghbowhunter

Any time you can get onto a river bottom in the middle of November, in Iowa. ITS AWESOME. Good luck. and always keep your head on a swivel you don't know when its gonna happen but it will happen.

Well there's a hundred miles of SKunk River or more, North Skunk and SOuth Skunk too. What specific area are you looking at and what is your question? I have trapped quite a bit of it.

I live on the South Skunk in SE Iowa and the river is out into the maple bottoms right now. You'll need a boat to get around down in the low spots. It works great for me because my farm is in the bluffs and the high water pushes everything to higher ground. There is no shortage of deer anywhere near the river in my experience.

I used to trap a lot of the south skunk back in the day. I know that area south and east of Sigourney pretty well. Some wild counry out there when you get in a boat and start heading downstream.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skully,
I don't know if it will be going down much soon. It's still bank full up here in Ames! </div></div>

It usually takes about three days for the water to get here from up north. It is crazy to watch the river rise 10 feet in a day when we haven't had any rain! Cool,looks like the deer will stay in the hills for a few more days.

Iowa-1, Did you live in the area or just trap here? Some good fishing and trapping on that stretch of skunk.

Like blaster said, the river here in ames is running at a pretty good clip. I hunt on the skunk down around the Pella area if anyone knows where that is. You're in a good spot, PGH

Top Bottom